New Belgium's latest seasonal: Springboard

Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:01 pm

It took me awhile to figure out what style Springboard was supposed to be, and I ended up asking at the brewery itself. Springboard is a blonde ale, that is brewed with some oatmeal which adds a hefe-esque haze. It has a thick head (from the bottle), less so in restaurants (unsure why this is). It is a very easy drinking beer, great for spring. It is lightly hopped, but has a bitter hint of some of the extra spices that NBB has added, especially the wormwood (yes, wormwood). The wormwood taste shows up on the tip of your tongue, almost as an aftertaste. The color is very light, slightly more golden than Budweiser, but also hazy, as previous mentioned.

I don't like this as much as the previous seasonal, 2 Below, but it's still a great beer.
mfischer2

Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:09 pm

I had some yesterday at a brewday. All I remember is that it said hazy on the label, but poured crystal clear, oh, and it was pretty good.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:48 am

I like this one. The herbs and spices really make this a little different for a light beer. Gives it a slight tangy herbal quality. I replace a couple bottles of Springboard in a Blue Paddle six pack. It makes for a nice change up. I couldn't drink more than two in a row though.
On Tap: Czarface Russian Imp Stout
http://www.lovecraftbrewing.com
Brainstasty

Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:20 pm

Ok so I'll be the one to disagree on this one, I had it on tap and could barely finish it. I think it's the wormwood that to my palate gave it a medicinal and almost gasoline like flavor that dominated the rest of the flavors. More for you guys :-)
Fishemulsion

Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:26 pm

Fishemulsion wrote:I had it on tap and could barely finish it. I think it's the wormwood that to my palate gave it a medicinal and almost gasoline like flavor

Are you sure the tap wasn't a gas pump? Actually I like it in small amounts. I also ocassionaly drink absinthe so wormwood isn't offensive to me. I can see how the unique tangy herbal taste could turn some people off. To each their own. Cheers.
On Tap: Czarface Russian Imp Stout
http://www.lovecraftbrewing.com
Brainstasty

Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:30 am

I was wondering why that pub sold beer by the gallon and only allowed me to take tap hits. :-)
Fishemulsion

Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Fishemulsion wrote:I was wondering why that pub sold beer by the gallon and only allowed me to take tap hits. :-)

Stick to coffee and REI, Seattle hippie!

:D
Colonel Fischer
10th Mountain Division
mfischer2

Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Life's difficult out here on the left coast. How'd you know I was 3 weeks overdue for a haircut, yes I said weeks not years. :-) By the way they had an Avery IPA on tap at my local watering hole, yummy.
Fishemulsion

Next

Return to Beer Reviews