Re: Almost got knocked on my ass

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:54 pm

I ferment in a chest freezer and when I reach in to pull a carboy out I get a little light headed sometimes. I can definitely feel the CO2 burn, kinda like it is that wrong?
bryngelbrau

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:51 pm

seriouslly was huffing my blow up bucket when fermenting a german hefe. thing was going nuts.
fuhme420

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:14 pm

And now you know why chemistry students are taught to not smell directly from any beaker or vessel, but to waft the air from over the top towards your nose... in spite of 6 years of pharmacy school and all of this knowledge, I still burned off my nose hairs one time doing exactly what you did with a keg. :lol: Some lessons you have to learn more than once!
Society of Northeast Ohio Brewers (SNOBs)
Cleveland, Ohio http://www.beersnobs.net
BN Private First Class - Snowbelt Battalion
Todd

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:19 pm

TheDarkSide wrote:Bet it burned those nose hairs right off. Well, at least you'll only do that once. (I hope)

Hell I do it ever time I ferment,,,, And I'm just fine. JP is my hero. :mrgreen:
In keg-a-tor-a-anator

Ocotoberfest, Sour Code Brown for Big Brew Day, Smoke Porter

On Deck
American Pale Ale and Dry Stout
My Dad always said "never confuse bravery with stupidity."
lunitick1976

Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:24 am

I huffed the airlock this morning before work. Brewing a Mango Wheat Beer! The smell is driving me nuts! Over Ripe Mango! .... I am salivating right now :mrgreen:
DrDonkie

Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:01 am

Choppy wrote: the smell was so strong and sharp it was like a cross between pure alcohol and smelling salts

Bugeater wrote:You got yourself a good whiff of pure CO2! Once that disperses, you will smell the goodness.

Just to clarify, what you smelled was not CO2. Any odors and aromas would be from other compounds being blown off, but CO2 is odorless. Inhaling CO2 can cause shortness of breath/rapid breathing.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Fermentation