Re: First batch question

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Did you take a hydrometer/refractometer reading? But like others said, leave it for at least 2 weeks and then check you gravity then.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm on my first five gallon batch too and I've had almost all the same issues. It's hard to keep the temperature in my room exactly where I want it. It's basically fluctuated a little between 68 and 72, but staying mostly at 70 (due to lots of attention to the thermostat and thermometer by me).

I can't see the high kreusen because mine is in a bucket, not a carboy. But hopefully the batch comes out great like I expect it to. I had expert help on my first batch!

i'm also skipping secondary and just bottling right from primary. Fermentation time will probably be 12.5-13 days total.

I will be monitoring this thread to see how your batch comes out.

al
alcaponejunior

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:28 pm

It's finished primary fermentation and moved into the secondary phase. All I can add to the others is to say brew another. Sooner or later you will brew a shitty beer but you've got to brew another. Every time I've brewed a bad batch I've questioned my brewing. Then I've brewed a great batch.
Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure.
Ambrose Bierce
Ironman

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:57 pm

BDawg wrote:Also, watch the temperatures. try to keep it down closer to 68 or less to help keep it cleaner.
A wet t-shirt wrapped around the carboy/bucket will do wonders for temperature control.

HTH-

If your activity has already stopped, it is mostly too late for this to help with anything. The concern, as BDawg points out ,is that keeping your fermentor under 70 will do more for you in terms of the taste of the beer. Even in a 70 degree room, the beer itself can get up to 75 or 80 from the heat given off by the actively fermenting yeast. If you yeast have already finished, this will be water under the bridge. A beer fermented warmer isn't going to be bad necessarily, but depending on temp and yeast strain, may be more prone to throwing off hotter, solventy alcohols.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing