Grain mill for me AND the wife?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi all, I was wondering if the wisdom of the forum could point me in the right direction: I'm looking for a grain mill I can use for homebrewing that my wife can also use to mill flour. Will something like the Grain Gobbler from morebeer be readjustable like that?
Thanks!
Toasty
Toasty

Re: Grain mill for me AND the wife?

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 am

Our grain mills don't really mill the grain, they crush it. Maybe there is something that can pull double duty, but I'm not aware of it. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

As far as just a grain crusher, for homebrew use. This one is a really good deal at $99 shipped...
http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2011/10/gr ... cture.html
stadelman

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:57 am

A corona mill is a more typical flour mill, and while it can be used to mill grain for brewing, it certainly isn't ideal. Basically you are looking to do two separate things. A grain mil wants to crush the kernel into smaller chunks and leave the husks mostly intact. A flour mill wants to pulverize the kernel.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Also, understand HOW different mills function. The typical flour mill uses steel or stone burrs with grooves cut into them, so when they turn against each other, they shred as much as grind the grain into flour. Now, wheat doesnt have a husk, which is good for flour. Malted barley, for our purposes, has the husk intact, which helps in setting a filter bed to keep the mash from overly compacting during whatever sparge technique you use. If you use a burr mill, like a Corona, and set it too close, you could shred the husk to the point where you end up with a stuck sparge. Personally, I've never had that happen with my Corona mill, but I also grind everything by handcrank for the exersise. Make a 15 pound grain bill quite a workout.

My point is that you could be operating at cross purposes in trying to have one machine do all.

hth,
Alan
alan_marks

Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:48 pm

when i was a wee-laddie, my mom used to grind her 50# bags of wheat into flour... on the tightest setting, my monster mill 2 can't come close to that beast!
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:01 pm

If indeed your wife is looking for a grain mill check out Lehman's in Ohio, www.lehmans.com , they have quite a variety of proper flour mills that would make short work of any grain you choose for baking. This is the company I bought my Corona mill from.

hth,
Alan
alan_marks

Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:30 pm

Thanks all for the replies, looks like the wife may just get her flour mill attachment for the stand mixer and I'll look for a brewing mill. Thanks!!
Toasty

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Just cause it's bad ass, this is the mill we have at the LHBS. The guy isn't the best on camera, but he builds a hell of a mill. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K81_Aaxt6BQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Equipment