False bottom or bazooka/mas screen?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:38 am

What is the difference between the two (i.e pros and cons of each)? I currently have the mash screen in my 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler, and am considering a false bottom. What makes one better over the other?

:bnarmy:
ResQ

Re: False bottom or bazooka/mas screen?

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:48 am

ResQ wrote:What is the difference between the two (i.e pros and cons of each)? I currently have the mash screen in my 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler, and am considering a false bottom. What makes one better over the other?

Well, I have a 13 gallon square cooler with a bazooka screen now. I'll be making 15 gallons with it this weekend - Monday and Tuesday, actually, but it's a long weekend for me.

I have a keg being converted to a mash tun with a false bottom as we speak. I'll bookmark this thread and report back in a few weeks, but I think the false bottom is preferred for it's surface area and uniform draining.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:02 am

False bottom has superior flow dynamics. In theory it's superior. A false bottom of an appropriate size gets less channeling than a tube or a manifold, which is primarily important in fly sparging, though not so much in batch sparging. In practice the difference? I don't know. I use a false bottom but I know plenty of people go get good efficiency and good beer without one.

A false bottom is also more expensive.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:49 am

in looking at the beer store today.... I quickly see that with the mash screen/tube, the grain settles around it, causing the main drainage to channel to the middle through the tube, whereas the false bottom floats the grain bed above and you can siphon directly from the entire bottom of the grain bed, not just the middle. I will be placing an order tonight for a new false bottom :) I am still interested in how your brews will differ from mash screen to false and I will also post my findings, although I am brewing another lager (pilsner) tomorrow and it will be a little bit before I brew again.

ResQ

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:10 pm

mookie1010 wrote:
ResQ wrote:What is the difference between the two (i.e pros and cons of each)? I currently have the mash screen in my 10 gallon round rubbermaid cooler, and am considering a false bottom. What makes one better over the other?

Well, I have a 13 gallon square cooler with a bazooka screen now. I'll be making 15 gallons with it this weekend - Monday and Tuesday, actually, but it's a long weekend for me.

I have a keg being converted to a mash tun with a false bottom as we speak. I'll bookmark this thread and report back in a few weeks, but I think the false bottom is preferred for it's surface area and uniform draining.

How'd your false bottom work out for you??

ResQ

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 pm

I used to use a bazooka screen in a round cooler mash tun and then switched to a false bottom and had better efficiency. B3 has a reasonably priced false bottom for 10 gal round coolers.

Now I use a B3 mash tun with false bottom and its great. The bazooka screen also works in the brew kettle with whole hops as long as I don't use Jamil's chiller whirlpool. Nothing worse than plugging up your drain valve! :lol:
On Tap: Telemark Stout
On Tap: Top of the World Cider
On Tap: Lower Corner IPA
On Tap: Bodacious Brown Ale
On Tap: Maple Double IPA
Fermenting: The Session Pale Ale

MoreBeer Buzz
Hoppy Brewah

Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:08 pm

ResQ wrote:
mookie1010 wrote:

How'd your false bottom work out for you??

Oh, I should have been more clear - I'm still waiting to get my converted keg back from the LHBS - hopefully in 10 days (sunday after this one) I'll be using it. My brew days this week were still on my standard cooler / bazooka screen.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:21 pm

I just recieved my false bottom for my round 10 gallon cooler tun today! I am not brewing until this next weekend, but I will report back my findings!

ResQ

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment