Scotty in checked luggage

Mon May 14, 2012 7:27 pm

I assume this is a totally hair-brained idea, but I want to bring beer for the BN booth. Has anyone put a 3 gal. keg inside their luggage without any problems?
pepperford

Re: Scotty in checked luggage

Mon May 14, 2012 7:59 pm

If you succeed, you'd be a bad ass MAUN!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri May 18, 2012 8:28 am

What airport are you flying out of?

I work in baggage/cargo for an airline and I don't think I've seen a full keg shipped as checked luggage before, just empties. When on vacation I bought some cornies off craigslist and TSA made me open them up so they could insure they weren't pressurized which wouldn't exactly be a good idea when shipping a full keg...

It might be worth contacting TSA about it though, try their e-mail as well. It seems like it would be fine when looking at their website regulations

The only full kegs I've seen shipped were shipped through the cargo office but they did go on passenger planes, not cargo only ones. So it is possible to ship them, but you might want to run it by the airlines and TSA first since they don't look like your regular old Sanke. Be sure to show up to the airport really early and make sure someone sticks around until it gets sorted if they refuse it. If you check it in a bag without declaring, it will most likely be confiscated or TSA might be heading to the gate to track you down to sort it out which might result in you missing your flight .
BN Army Sergeant
Chaz

Fri May 18, 2012 9:07 pm

You probably also want to mark it as beer incase anyone opens up the bag, maybe include a sample beer for them to take home ;-)
Brown Ridge Brewing: My homebrew recipe's and brewing exploits.
SmartFoneCases.com: Quality cases at an affordable price.
beerdrinker

Return to Beer Events