E.J. Phair India Pale Ale

Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:33 pm

Purchased from Bevmo at room temp, undated. Subdued carbonation on opening. Small, loose head that rapidly settled into a creamy ring around the edge of the glass. Coppery color, perfectly clear, with noticable, but not aggressive hop aroma.
Pronounced malt character, with excellent, balanced bitterness. Round mid-palate flavor, slightly biscuity. Pleasant lingering dry malt flavor. For an IPA however, I find the hop flavors rather muted, although more assertive for sure than a regular Pale Ale. Since the label specifically says "Keep Refrigerated", this may be the infamous "Bevmo Effect" however. The brewery is only 40 minutes from me; it would be an interesting experience to taste the same beer on draught.
On Deck:
Primary: American Amber Ale
Conditioning:
On tap (kegerator!):
Fond memories:

Beer-gut: 38"
jaydub

Re: E.J. Phair India Pale Ale

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:19 am

jaydub wrote:The brewery is only 40 minutes from me; it would be an interesting experience to taste the same beer on draught.

It's been awhile since I've had the EJ Phair IPA out of a bottle. I was never a big fan of it. At the alehouse they have two EJ Phair IPAs on draught, the English IPA (which is what you find in bottles) and the Alehouse IPA. The English IPA is better out of a faucet than a bottle, IMHO, but the Alehouse IPA is the the best of the two. They sometimes have trouble keeping enough of either on tap.

To be honest, they usually have a such an excellent selection of guest beers, including some great IPAs, that I'll frequently have one of those over either EJ Phair IPA.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:36 am

Beerpal
I do the same thing. I feel bad sometimes that I don't drink Morgan and JJ's beer.

Brad
wezil

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:00 am

wezil wrote:Beerpal
I do the same thing. I feel bad sometimes that I don't drink Morgan and JJ's beer.

Brad

If they didn't want you to drink other beer they wouldn't have it on tap ;-)

I'm not saying that Morgan doesn't brew good beer, he does. But being the hophead I am, I'm usually gonna have an IPA and those guys are up against some tough competition. I think EJ Phair's strength lies in other styles. They make a schwarzbier that I think is excellent and people are raving about this year's Quivering Quail, although I have yet to try it.
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal

Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:24 pm

Agreed again. I find my self just wanting to try new things. When I have tried the guest beers I find my self going back to the house beers.
Whatever brings in the cash to keep the place open works for me.

Brad
wezil

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:46 pm

I stopped by the alehouse for a couple Quivering Quails after work today. Man, what a great winter warmer! Not too heavy, great malt/hop balance, dances on your tongue. They're almost out so I'll be stopping by tomorrow as well for more. Good stuff!
"Make beer not war"

BeerPal

Return to Beer Reviews