Ayinger Brau-weisse tasting

Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:20 pm

I was under the impression that I was aware of what a hefeweizen was about, I was mistaken -- no, I was flat wrong. I tried Ayinger's Brau-weisse on tap the other day and was totally unprepared for the flavors and the taste that were in that glass.

Let me clarify this:

Holy shit, it's the best hefe-weizen I've ever had. I almost cried.

That's not really saying a lot because I've not really been into hefe's but, it was just that good. Beyond that I felt betrayed by the 'domestic hefe's', both macro and micro, that are masquerading under this name and style and are no where near this clean, crisp and outstanding. But, I guess that if there isn't a 'greatest' then there isn't anything to strive towards.
"The reason you brew 20 Gallons of beer is 'cause it's 20 gallons of beer for Fuck's sake!"
Justin Crossley; Frugal Brewing 7-16-06
Oregon J

Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:07 am

It's even better in Germany.
My favorite weissbier has got to be Franziskaner.
PFC BN Army
Mr.HoppyPants

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:47 am

I agree. Ayinger Brau-Weisse is one of my favorite beers. The trick is to get it on tap. I assume that the stuff in the kegs is fresher and better taken care of than the stuff on the shelves. If you have the opportunity to try this beer on tap, I highly recommend it.
Beerrific

Return to Beer Reviews