Visiting New Glarus

Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:10 pm

I went to Wisconsin a couple weeks ago and had some fun hanging out in Madison with my Aunt and her family. Part of the trip was dedicated to beer and cheese. New Glarus is about 25 miles from Madison and the brewery is still in a fairly small building along the highway (its moving soon). The tour is self-guided, with this radio/phone thing that you use. The sign over the hops says "17", so you type "17" on the phone and listen to someone explain hops, etc etc.

NG has some cool copper brew kettles that are probably worth a fortune.

Overall, however, I was disappointed with the experience. Why?

For one, the lady working the combination gift shop/tasting area seemed very disinterested in helping us. She also didn't know a damn thing about the beer. Tasting was $4, which included a tasting glass (reasonable), but during the week, the tastings are from semi-chilled bottles which sit in a mini-fridge under the sink, not from kegs. There is no choice of what you taste, you get whatever 3 beers that they decide to offer for tasting that day. (She also served them in the wrong order, but I can cope with that).

Then there's the beer. So the general buzz about NG is that they are the second coming and they offer the best beer in the world. Sorry guys, but that ain't true. NG's beer is okay, but they are too focused on lighter, low flavor, lagery type beers. (At least those were the 3 I tried that morning).

Anyway, NG is worth a visit, but don't expect it to top anything from Fort Collins, Boulder, or Denver. (okay, yeah, I'm a bit spoiled).
Last edited by mfischer2 on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Colonel Fischer
10th Mountain Division
mfischer2

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:19 pm

You must not've tried the right beers! Spotted Cow and those are ok, but you're right, they're low body beers with decent hop profiles. While I haven't had a LOT of different NG beers, the Bock I had was EXCELLENT. So far it's the closest to a bock straight from Germany that I've tried. Of course, I haven't had the pleasure of trying Gordon Beirsch (or however you spell that).
PDub

Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:23 pm

You must have gotten some crappy beers then... All the NG beers I've had were great... not second comming but very good.
damn we could a hooked upI'm about 30-45 minutes from NG
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:50 am

I do like Spotted Cow, it's a beer that I could drink 3 or say, 20 of in a sitting.
Colonel Fischer
10th Mountain Division
mfischer2

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:13 pm

Uff-da and stone soup are both increadible.

Everyone talks up there Belgian Red but I'm not a huge fan myself.
Prost,
Northern Brewer
northern brewer

Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:23 pm

The Dancing Man Wheat is quite good as is the Naked Ale.

I love their Cherry Lambic.
Pri: Community Nudity Ale, Magician Red Ale, Berliner Weisse
Bottled: Paxton's Tripel and Dubbel, 400 Rabbits Ale, Cap'n Crunch Amber Oat Ale

o-<-'<
rhino777

Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:04 pm

New Glarus has some good standard beers (IPA, Bock, etc.) but they really shine in their fruit beers, or as they call them, Wisconsin Lambics.

We served their Raspberry Tart at our wedding in place of Champagne, and my wife and I just cracked open a bottle we saved for our first anniversery. If you like raspberries or Framboise (although it's not that sour), this could be *the* beer for you. Amazing. We have another bottle waiting for us in the future sometime.
This message brought to you by the letters A-L-P-H-A-K-I-N-G and the number 6

“Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.”
-Henry David Thoreau
Surgeon General

Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:42 pm

I LOVE the "Enigma" beer with brett that they did. I wouldn't make a final judgement on the brewery just yet. I think you got some crappy samples.
http://www.cognitionbrewingcompany.com
Twitter: CognitionB
Tumblr: cognitionbeer
Instagram: cognitionbeer
Snapchat: Cognition Brewing Company
Brichards700

Next

Return to Beer Reviews