Re: Cigar City Jai Alai IPA - Pretty tasty IPA

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:07 pm

The old Jai Lai looked like Hazed and Infused from boulder beer if any of you have had it before.

I does kinda look gross at first but there is a noticeable difference in the flavor and aroma when it was included and when it was taken out. Because of the difference I was glad to see the particles in my beer if it tasted better.
theobrew

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Haze is fine, if I'm picking plant matter out of my teeth, not so much... I strain my dry hops out with a fine mesh bag.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 pm

theobrew wrote:Oh yea, I drink Jai Lai all the time. In fact I alway make sure I have a few hanging around.

I'm a little upset at Cigar City though... they used to not filter out the dry hops and you could see a ton of hop particles in the beer. They recently started filtering it and you can tell. There is a big difference in the aroma and flavor now and I wish they would go back to not filtering.

Also, while Jai Lai is good if you ever get a chance to try the Jai Lai on white oak get it! They release it in 4 packs 3-4 times a year and is absolutely amazing. Also make sure and try the humidor series IPA. It is a different recipe than the Jai Lai on spanish cedar.

If you or anyone else is ever in Tampa and wants to go to the brewery with me just hit me up.

I wasn't aware of this...but yeah, I definitely need to visit their brewery when Im down in Tampa this year.
arsenal610

Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:52 pm

Confirmed. Mac & Jacks dry hops in the keg.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 am

Before they started distributing to GA, I found some in a small bottle shop attached to a bar in Daytona. Before that, I was asking around and kept getting directions to Cigar shops (never-mind). It reminds me of New Belgium's Ranger.
hoodie

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanks to Secret Santa, I tasted the Jai Alai IPA.
To me, it was refreshing, but at the same time, a nothing special, not great, but ordinary IPA microbrew, easily bettered by homebrewers that are good at dry hopping!

Stone, Green Flash, Dogfish Head, and many more IPA's are far, far, far superior brews!

Theobrew's JBA rocks!
Now I have a need to brew some JBA!

Enjoy :drink
Gary
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:24 am

For a beer in a can that I can get regularly and bring places cans are good for I like the Jai Alai a lot!

But like I said... for some reason when they add the white oak to the same recipe it becomes one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Its a really citrusy IPA and the young oak flavor really lends itself to the citrus hops.

Also... thanks for the JBA shout out! I would have included more but I only had 3 bottles left myself... now I have none :( It's second on my list to brew next.
Its good that somone can attest to my ability to brew beer because heaven knows we all know how I can drink it :)
:jnj
theobrew

Previous

Return to Beer Reviews