Hop Rod Rye

Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:28 pm

I'll keep it short. I poured half the 22-oz bottle down the drain. I've never had an 8% beer be so bitter. If this is a good example of a rye IPA, then, I guess I don't care for them. I like bitter IPAs, but, this is harsh.
Roguejim

Re: Hop Rod Rye

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:25 pm

you must have got a bad one because the 10 or so bombers of that beer I have had have been excellent, nothing like you explain...what are your usual IPAs that you are comparing it to?...does the bottle have a date stamped on it?...did you buy it from a reputable location?...rye can have a little tang to it...could that be what you were tasting?...
:asshat: :bnarmy:
On Deck: porter, berliner weisse
Fermenting: xtra pale
In the keg/bottle: golden delicious apple cider, brown rice lager, german pils
EL TIZZO

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:55 pm

80 IBU's is moderately high for bigger IPAs, so it's possible you got something that was a bit off.... or you're just a wuss :P

It's worth giving another try if you like IPAs and have like other rye beers. Some people really don't like rye though, that could be it.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:44 pm

EL TIZZO wrote:you must have got a bad one because the 10 or so bombers of that beer I have had have been excellent, nothing like you explain...what are your usual IPAs that you are comparing it to?...does the bottle have a date stamped on it?...did you buy it from a reputable location?...rye can have a little tang to it...could that be what you were tasting?...
:asshat: :bnarmy:

What he said... Hop Rod Rye is fantastic. In fact I thought it could have had more hoppy aroma but damn tasty brew.
ACESFULL

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:35 am

Whilst I drank every bit of my bomber, I didn't find it as excellent as the reviews might lead you to believe (95% overall on BA, 4.28/5 with 1884 reviews). Here's what I thought of it:

Dark amber. Clear. Great head and lacing. Excellent appearance.

Smells piney and citrus/grapefruity with plenty of malts and bread crust on the side. I would say the hops take center stage, followed by malts, with an extra side portion of very bitter hops and plenty of citrus pungency. Garnished with floral aromas, bread crust, and notable alcohol.

The bitterness and malts don't seem to mesh as well as I was expecting. Everyone loves this beer but it didn't quite do it for me. It seems to clash some, as if it can't decide what it's supposed to be. I think there was a pretty darn good rye beer under there somewhere. Halfway through the bomber I was wishing it was just a simple red or rye beer so I could get on with drinking the rest of the bottle without further angst.

Tastes to me like a great red or rye beer that's been over-hopped to the point of being forced to classify it as an IPA or DIPA.

I gave it a 3.5/5.
alcaponejunior

Return to Beer Reviews