Allagash Curieux

Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:20 am

750 ml. big ’ole brown, Belgian shaped bottle. No freshness date seen anywhere. Corked and caged. Cheap ass cage broke when I tried to untie it. You’d think for $12.50 USD per bottle, they’d invest in a better cage. Cheap bastards. I paid $12.50 each for this stuff at Astor Liquors in Laurel, Md. Only bought one bottle at that frickin’ price. Poured out a hazy, yellow color, with a minimal white head. It quickly subsided to a thin ring of foam around the edge of the glass. Aromas are of fresh malts, some honey notes, slightly funky Belgian yeast aromas, and a strong vanilla component. I can’t detect any whiskey notes whatsoever. Maybe a slight oakiness, but nothing to write home about. Tastes are of a typical Belgian light strong ale, similar to Duvel. Again, nothing to write home about. Clean, crisp, but slightly heavy on the palate. Not a substantial typical Belgian triple by any means. Maybe I’m missing the point here, but why would you age a decent triple in oak casks?
Triple Freak

Return to Beer Reviews