Abbaye des Rocs Grand Cru

Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:15 am

750 ml green bottle. Crowned & corked. 2003 batch. Poured out a murky, burnt orange color, with an enormous tan head. It slowly faded back to a thick mat of lace on top of the beer, and clung desperately to the sides of the glass. Yeasty islands appear as the head slowly slides back to reveal a wonderful aroma. Smells of fresh cut hay, bready yeast, lots of citrus happening here also. Aromas of candi sugar, corriander & other exotic Indian ocean spices as well. Lemon peel, orange zest, fresh squeezed grapefruits round out the citrus components of this nectar. Strong malts in the taste as well as a zingy hops bite. This has got to be one of the best Abbey beers I've ever had. Different character than Westvleteren Abt 12, but special in it's own way anyway. Words fail me as I sip & enjoy this truly exquisite finely crafted beer. A great beer to end 2003 with, if I do say so myself.
Triple Freak

Return to Beer Reviews