Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner

Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:03 pm

Anybody else try this one, yet? I just picked up a four pack. I have to admit - I really dig it. Lately, I have been OFF of the ultra hoppy beers. I call myself a "reformed hop head". I was so into them 2 years ago. Perhaps we hit the "hop wall". People... there is more to life than hops. Where is the balance? I love hops, but more so - I love balance... I recently went all grain and I am now a born again malt afficionado. I will still have an Stone IPA here and there, but for the most part I've moved on.

The thing l like about this beer is that (unlike a Double IPA) - there isn't much crystally cloying sweetness to balance the extreme bitterness. This is a big beer (ala 1.088 OG, 1.021 FG). The mouthfeel is significant (heavy) - but without the sweetness. Perhaps it's a high mash temp and/or dextrine malt in there. The bitterness is also significant - but smooth, not harsh - kind of the way I hear that first wort hopping is supposed to contribute. The aroma from each glass is just the same as opening a fresh ounce bag of hops. The hop flavor is amazing! Starts out fruity, then turns minty, and ends up nice and earthy - the way a nice old vine red zin finishes.

The one criticism that I have is that - if I wasn't TOLD that this is a pilsner - I wouldn't be able to tell. The subtle pils malt character is so much overpowered by the sheer amount of hops. Oh well. Another hop victim in the war on malt.

Prost!

Mylo
Mylo
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:49 am

I split a four pack with Code a while back. I remember liking it, but didn't take any notes. I agree tho that I never would have called it a pils.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:21 pm

I picked up a pack the other day, figuring it might be the last time I get to taste a beer like this (damn hop shortage). I'm not a lover of super hoppy beers, but this one really rocks. I love the massive hop flavor and aroma coupled with reasonable bitterness.
The Malted Bavarian
-Sgt BN Army Winter Ops Brigade
-Curse your sudden but inevetable betrayal! - Wash
TMB

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:47 pm

I had it last night.

I thought it tasted pretty good, sorta like a blonde/lagered IPA but using noble (Hallertau) hops instead of "C" hops. Lots of hops - bitterness, flavor and aroma. Plenty of malt backbone to stand up to them, too.

Nice beer, but I kinda miss the citrus & the caramel you find in an IPA. I have one more bottle, left, which I'll enjoy, but I won't be going out of my way looking for this.

Their Schwarzbier (SA Black Lager), on the other hand, is one of my favorites. Subtle, easy to drink, really tasty but no harsh roast malt bite. Great session beer even at about 5%. I'm ecstatic they are now selling that stuff in the supermarkets here (QFC). I think it speaks volumes that this beer (from Boston & PA) is getting supermarket shelf space all the way out here in Seattle, amidst the multitude of craft beer available here locally.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:04 am

I had this a while back, and I can say I really didn't like it too much. I am not a big fan of that much Hop forward Noble hops flavor. The C-Hops, I can stand all you can throw at me, but the noble hops get to be a bit over the top if you ask me. I prefer noble hops as subtle additions, and just enough to balance with the malt. I think this beer would be great if you age it for a little while and let the hops "drop out" a bit, sort of like what happens in a big barleywine when the malt becomes more part of the story.
Image<see, it's getting better.
Test_Engineer

Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:32 pm

I just tried a bit of this friday night at the brewpub. My bartender had gotten a bottle and spit it up for me and the guys to sample. I really enjoyed this beer. It was enlightening to find someone pushing the imperial window in a non-typical way.

I was surprised to find that using this load of hallertau hops tasted very similar in hop profile to a 100% fuggles pale ale that I made a couple of years back. This beer has got me thinking......I would like to brew a couple of heavily hopped pale ales using a single noble hop to see the differences at these usage rates. Could be fun, as long as I can find the hops.
Prost,
Northern Brewer
northern brewer

Return to Beer Reviews