De Dolle Oerbier

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:55 pm

11.6 oz. brown, longneck bottle. No freshness date. Weak pfftt when opened. Almost completely flat. No carbonation to speak of. Poured out a dark, murky brown color, with no head at all. Even with my pocket beer engine, I couldn’t get a head to rise up. Aromas are of dank basements, wet socks, vinegar, alcohols, and Belgian funk. Brettanomyces abounds in my sample. Downright rank, if you ask me. Flavors are of watered down vinegar, stank ass, sweaty feet, and alcohols. Huge layer of dead yeast in the bottom of the bottle. This is more a Flemish Red ale than a Belgian Strong. Finished rather sweet and rank. Not a great beer by any means.
Triple Freak

Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:05 pm

ImageImage

I was much happier with my bottle of this than TF was. Poured with a nice big head. Plenty of carb and a nice hoppy smell. This is a fairly sweet beer. It is somewhat offset by a hoppiness, but leaning much more towards the sweet end of things. It reminds me a lot of a port or sherry. 9%ABV and a cute label.

It was a good beer, but not good enough I'd buy it again.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:05 pm

I heard that they had a bad run if yeast.

I've had bottles of this brew that vary 100%. I have a love hate relationship with De Dolle. With any luck it will last for many years to come.
yinzer

Return to Beer Reviews