Bridgeport's Supris

Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:50 am

While buying some kegs for my new brewery, I got to try this new Belgian Style Farmhouse Ale (Saison or Blond?) from Bridgeport Brewery http://www.bridgeportbrew.com/ourales/f ... supris.php and was pleasantly surprised (no pun intended). It has a nice fruity nose reminiscent of red currants, with a spiciness from the hops and a slight maltiness that ends in an interesting sulphur/vinegar note (not bad/strong, but pleasantly lager-like) most likely due to the yeast. On the flavor side it has a pleasant tartness that accompanies the light malty tones with the slightly fruity-spicy undertones of the hops. The tartness I believe comes from the yeast, and as this is a bottle conditioned beer, may evolve with time. I laid some down for summer in my storage shed (held at 55-60'F) for future tastings. The mouthfeel is a tad on the thin side, with a lot of carbonation zing that is almost champagne like in its effervescence (which builds a nice moussy head btw). All in all, a uniquely tasting beer that I feel will be the next big thing this summer, for those who want a crisp refreshing light bodied spritely brew to quench a hot summer's day thirst :-P Happy brewing to you all!

Prost!

Michel[/url]
zymurgest

Return to Beer Reviews