next brew will be my first lager

Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:49 am

I recently moved and have started studying full time for the CPA exam so my time and space to brew is severely limited. I thought now would then be a good time to tie up my fermentation chamber with a lager. I have been brewing for a little over a year and a half and I really think its time to man up haha. My plan is to brew an amber lager of some sorts. I have been leaning towards a Vienna Lager but I could be swayed pretty easily. Brewing Classic Styles will probably be my recipe source. Anyone have any thoughts on a good lager to start with or recipe suggestions?

Brewshki
Brewshki

Re: next brew will be my first lager

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Brewing classic styles has a great Vienna lager recipe I believe. Give that try for your first try, then tweek it to your liking the next time you brew.
PorkSlapper

Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 pm

I have used a bunch of lager yeast strains and found some of the to be more or less finicky. I would suggest going with the weihenstephan yeast as it is pretty forgiving. I think that the brulosophy guys also did some experiments using that yeast at warmer temperatures (above the normal 50F space, maybe 60) and didn't get any nasty flavors from it. That would include the Saflager 34/70, Wyeast 2124, and White Labs 820.

If you aren't accustom to making starters, then study up on that because you will need to make a pile of yeast. For that reason, I would also suggest starting out with a smaller beer, something in the 1.040-1.048 range. That way you can build up enough yeast fairly easily.

Not to ramble, but also follow that tried and true routine of pitching a bit below ferment temp and then warm it up at the end (when the krausen starts to drop). Be patient, give it a couple week. When you think it is done, give it a few more days.

As far as styles, I am a fan of the 10 plato czech lager for a easy drinking "quick" lager.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:11 pm

NateBrews wrote:I have used a bunch of lager yeast strains and found some of the to be more or less finicky. I would suggest going with the weihenstephan yeast as it is pretty forgiving. I think that the brulosophy guys also did some experiments using that yeast at warmer temperatures (above the normal 50F space, maybe 60) and didn't get any nasty flavors from it. That would include the Saflager 34/70, Wyeast 2124, and White Labs 820.

If you aren't accustom to making starters, then study up on that because you will need to make a pile of yeast. For that reason, I would also suggest starting out with a smaller beer, something in the 1.040-1.048 range. That way you can build up enough yeast fairly easily.

Not to ramble, but also follow that tried and true routine of pitching a bit below ferment temp and then warm it up at the end (when the krausen starts to drop). Be patient, give it a couple week. When you think it is done, give it a few more days.

As far as styles, I am a fan of the 10 plato czech lager for a easy drinking "quick" lager.

Definitely used to making starters so I am feeling pretty comfortable in getting enough yeast into the wort. How much lower would you go? I feel like I have heard Dan Gordon say 2*C under fermentation temp. Im going to try a traditional lager fermentation regime for this first one but I will definitely give the warm route a chance at some point. I am hoping the Brewing Classic Styles recipe is low gravity because I definitely would not mind a nice low ABV lager for this heat in SoCal. I also get to use my beer bug for the first time so that should help me keep track of it.
Brewshki

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:34 pm

I just go 1 or 2C under the ferment temp. I'm usually restricted by what my chamber can get down to by the time I have to pitch before leaving for work. In the summer, it struggles to get down to 10C so I just pitch there and then let it go at 10 for a while and then ramp to 16C starting 4 or 5 days out at 1C/day.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:43 pm

NateBrews wrote:I just go 1 or 2C under the ferment temp. I'm usually restricted by what my chamber can get down to by the time I have to pitch before leaving for work. In the summer, it struggles to get down to 10C so I just pitch there and then let it go at 10 for a while and then ramp to 16C starting 4 or 5 days out at 1C/day.

interesting. It'll be cool to see how this all goes. I feel like I am starting all over again haha.
Brewshki

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:22 am

Amber lager is a good choice for your first lager. I brew a Vienna about twice a year and it is a great style to drink any time of year. You can't go wrong with any of the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles. My favorite lager yeast right now is the Mexican Lager yeast from White Labs. Fast and clean fermentation and it works well with many different styles. Good luck on your first lager.
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:44 pm

BigBadBrad wrote:Amber lager is a good choice for your first lager. I brew a Vienna about twice a year and it is a great style to drink any time of year. You can't go wrong with any of the recipes in Brewing Classic Styles. My favorite lager yeast right now is the Mexican Lager yeast from White Labs. Fast and clean fermentation and it works well with many different styles. Good luck on your first lager.

much appreciated. still trying to drink the kegs empty and open one of the freezers up to ferment in.
Brewshki

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles