Re: need help Smash recipe

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Tks again for the input .
As far as sanitation and ferm temps i am confident , I know how to taste and identify problems , did that , tasted that....
I have some batches under my belt and I am a really asshole on sanitation after 2 batches gone wrong
Use iodophor on the correct measures and before I use it I clean all the parts first so I know it isn't bad sanitation.

the bitter I am tasting is from the hops, really, but i never drank an IPA so... It is all new to me.
I think my final volume is to low for the amount of ingredients but once again I am cruising in new territory....

Did 28 grams cascade dry hop next week end will bottle it.
Need another recipe to brew or a simple IPA or a strong Belgian ale any ideas ?
thinking 3 gallons batch.
meku

Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:37 am

Do keep in mind that alcohol can also add some percieved bitterness along with your hops to the final product. With a 9% abv beer, the alcohol can lend a "bite" to the beer that can amplify the hops at the same time.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:30 am

Hello ppl.
Bottling day....add DME to carbonate beer to 3.0 psi
Only got 7 liters...
Revised my notes think I know what happened , missed my original volume pre boil so the worth pos boil was more concentrated sense the bittering is more apparent....
Well let's wait to see. Any thoughts??
Thew bittering will dissipate over time?
Tks all the ppl for the comments.
meku

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:12 am

meku wrote:Hello ppl.
Bottling day....add DME to carbonate beer to 3.0 psi
Only got 7 liters...
Revised my notes think I know what happened , missed my original volume pre boil so the worth pos boil was more concentrated sense the bittering is more apparent....
Well let's wait to see. Any thoughts??
Thew bittering will dissipate over time?
Tks all the ppl for the comments.

I think it's pretty simple. You threw a lot of hops into a very small volume of beer, and that's why it's so bitter. The bitterness question is tricky. In my experience, the perceived bitterness will become less intense with time. That's why several IPA have "drink fresh" printed on the label, but that also depends on where in the process you added your IBUs. I find that I lose the late boil and whirlpool IBU contribution quite rapidly in the maturation process, and I maintain the early boil IBUs for a very long time. So based on my experience, it largely depends on where in the process you added the bitterness. Given enough time, the malt flavors will mature, and that can help cover up some of the perceived bitterness. At 9%, your beer should be able to handle a lot of bitterness so I think you'll be alright. Also worth noting, dependent upon alcohol percentage, the beer will only be able to absorb a finite amount of the hops IBU contribution. So don't worry about the beer having 245 IBUs because I believe 100 is as high as it can go...and even that's almost impossible to achieve. Along those lines, if you added 100 IBUs at beginning of your boil, it's reasonable to assume that the boiling wort would not be able to absorb much of the late hop IBUs leaving your beer very bitter for a very long time. Hope this helps. Also, you may only want to carbonate to 2.5 psi. With carbonation, it's better to have too little than too much. :unicornrainbow:
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Sun May 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Hello just to say , tasted my first IPA yesterday , wow... Didn't expect that punch.
After that today tried my smash, I think my mistakes transform that SMASH into a cascade IPA because it is almost equal to the IPA I tried .
The only thing I don't like it has a bit o grassy flavor from the cascade (now I know hot to identify that) and because I used dry extract to carbonate they are taking forever to get carbonated.
Today I swirled them and the temp is up a bit so let's wait....

Bottled today 9 liters Irish stout and 13 liters blonde Belgian both very tasty.

Next on line is tasty`s Janet`s Brown and my first real IPA ( finally the stores here in Portugal are getting decent hops from the USA so going to stock up.

Having some much fun you don't believe.:D:D
meku

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles