Nate Smith low ABV Beer from Session??

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm

I really wanted to brew a version of the lower abv beer that Nate Smith talked about in one of the Session episodes....but now I can't remember what show it was from?!? Anyone remember what this might be? It was like 3.5-4.5% abv recipe.
shamrox317

Re: Nate Smith low ABV Beer from Session??

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:33 pm

It is a 60 shilling Scottish ale, there are heaps of recipes for them and for such a light beer they are pretty bloody good, his exact recipie though cant help you there.
This might be close
http://www.lugwrenchbrewing.com/2013/02 ... sh-60.html
j1m1

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 pm

88% Maris Otter
5% Crystal 55
5% Crystal 120
2% pale chocolate

OG/FG 1.034/1.015
154F mash
15 IBU East Kent Goldings at 60 mins
WLP001 two weeks at 65F

2.5% ABV

That's Nate's recipe he gave from the show. Can't remember which one but I listened to that part a few times over and wrote the recipe down.
twitter.com/GentleCuntPunch

If you take what I post here literally, you're retarded. I'm here to fuck around, have a good time, and learn about beer. You mean nothing to me and I mean nothing to you.
Adam

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:12 am

Awesome, thank you. I actually put it into Beersmith after the show, but my computer has gone tits-up and I can't access those Beersmith files...well, I could...but I'm lazy.

Has anyone brewed this? I'm gearing up for some session beer brewing over the next couple of weeks, and want to give this one a shot along with a 21A Bitter American inspired beer. Also a good opportunity to use it for yeast propagating purposes!
shamrox317

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 pm

Ive got a keg of Nate's spare change 60 shilling carbing as we speak, It was great before it was kegged cant wait for the next few days.
:jnj
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:20 pm

shamrox317 wrote:Awesome, thank you. I actually put it into Beersmith after the show, but my computer has gone tits-up and I can't access those Beersmith files...well, I could...but I'm lazy.

Has anyone brewed this? I'm gearing up for some session beer brewing over the next couple of weeks, and want to give this one a shot along with a 21A Bitter American inspired beer. Also a good opportunity to use it for yeast propagating purposes!

I just put this in beersmith and it predicts 1.008 fg and 3.4% abv. Thoughts?
Willys

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Willys wrote:
shamrox317 wrote:Awesome, thank you. I actually put it into Beersmith after the show, but my computer has gone tits-up and I can't access those Beersmith files...well, I could...but I'm lazy.

I just put this in beersmith and it predicts 1.008 fg and 3.4% abv. Thoughts?

you could boil the shit out of it or even boil a portion of the wort into a syrup (say from 4 quarts to half)
Fermenting; manuka smoked barley wine, 3203 red ale.
Bottled; too many,
Kegged; 60/-
On Deck; Count ding dong and inbred ding dong, belgian dark strong with/out brett.
Building; single tier brew system
j1m1

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:09 pm

[quote="j1m1]
you could boil the shit out of it or even boil a portion of the wort into a syrup (say from 4 quarts to half)[/quote]

+1 - Pull 2 or 3 quarts of first wort and reduce that separately on the stove way down (to a pint or so) and then add that back into the main boil. Works great but be careful and don't scorch it!

I also tried WLP001 in JZ's Scottish 80 recipe, but I really do like WLPO28/Wyeast1728 better.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles