Re: Clarity of Janets Brown?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:32 pm

No, doubt it was cloudy, but Tasty saying it hit a sweet spot with age was less about it being cloudy and more about the malt/hops hitting the perfect level of melding. Haven't had it next to a fresh bottle of the RR version, I live in the wrong part of the country, unfortunately. If someone wants to bottle up some RR JBA and send it to me, and then again in a year, I'd be happy to report back. The RR version was better than my accidentally imperial version (more of a brown IPA)...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:37 pm

I wonder how much the murkiness has to do with the roasted malt particulate that takes time to settle out of dark beers. Combine that with hop haze/poly phenols and you might end up with some major murk that would drop out after a little time in a fridge.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:04 pm

What about using gelitan or filtering the beer? I also agree that as the last pint was poured off the keg was the best!!
ACESFULL

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:06 pm

So I have another batch of JBA that I'm getting ready to dry hop now. I figure since Tasty is the master and he filters his beer I will dig out my never used plate filter and see what the results are. Duplicate the process right?
MNHazmat

Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Does he filter? I know he has, but I think he'd moved away from it (and perhaps back again?).
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:41 pm

I thought there was a brief period of fining but then he went back to the filter. Maybe Mike will chime in on this?
MNHazmat

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:27 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Does he filter? I know he has, but I think he'd moved away from it (and perhaps back again?).

I pretty much use gelatin on every beer. Once in awhile I'll filter if I need a beer to clear quickly.

My normal process now is to rack the still beer out of the fermentor into kegs that have a teaspoon of gelatin dissolved in a half cup of 150F water. I then hang a hopsack of dryhop by dental floss. I'll leave the keg(s) at room temperature for three days turning the keg(s) upside down on the second day. I then put the keg(s) in cold storage applying CO2 to start force carbonation. In 4-5 days I rack to another keg.

I've never had a particular issue with the JBA not clearing. Of course, I play close attention to water chemistry, have an excellent whirlpool result, external chill, drop the cold break before pitching, and use finings.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Tasty are you using the same water profile that you use for the pale ale on JBA?
MNHazmat

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles