Re: "Non-Standard" IPA's

Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:54 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
beerhog wrote:why not try a small late addition of sorachi ace to really up the lemon flavours?

While I do like SA, I also get a dill character that may be a bit distracting. Some of that may be a function of the large amount that I used, and that it was single hopped with it.

Spider...you took the words out of my mouth...I get a distinct dill character from Sorachi Ace. I have an IPA that Im just now finishing that has Amarillo, Simcoe, and Sorachi Ace. I find that the dill flavor does a bit to hide the the other hops. While I like Sorachi Ace...I don't think "lemon" when I taste it either.
Draconian41

Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:32 pm

I got both lemon and dill, but feel that it may be more suited as an accent to other hops in the beer rather than a main player based on my (limited) experience with it.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Do share your recipe with all of us and if possible share a video while you make your recipe..It would be quite easier for all other to follow...
free printable doctors note online are readily available...
seanbecs

Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:48 pm

I get the dill even when Iuse sa in small amounts. Still like it though. Kind of like a dill flavored coconut.
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm thinking of sorachi ace ipa. You think good amount of rye will balance that dill flavor? I have 2 oz of sa i need to use :)
madchemist83

Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:02 am

madchemist83 wrote:I'm thinking of sorachi ace ipa. You think good amount of rye will balance that dill flavor? I have 2 oz of sa i need to use :)

Personally, I don't think it will. Of course, we all taste things differently. I used a tiny amount of SA with a ton of Amarillo and Simcoe yet it still comes through loud and clear. It's an intense hop.
Draconian41

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles