Re: Rasberry Oatmeal Stout

Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Ok, due to my realization that I don't have a thermometer to measure my brewing temperature I have postponed my oatmeal stout until next weekend.

I didn't mention that I will be unable to do a partial mash because it requires me to have some additional LME, which I can't get in this country and would have to order in advance.

I still don't even know if the oats I have are instant/quick or the regular kind that require a partial mash (the package actually says "flaked oats"), but I have been reading other recipes where people put their oats in the oven at 325 F for about an hour before they steep them with the other grains. My recipe doesn't say to do this, but is it recommended? What effect will this have on my finished product? Is baking the oats before steeping an alternative to doing a partial mash?
In the fermenter: Nada

In the cellar: Super Citra APA

On deck: Bugeaters' Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber
DonMoleon

Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 pm

DonMoleon wrote:Ok, due to my realization that I don't have a thermometer to measure my brewing temperature I have postponed my oatmeal stout until next weekend.

I didn't mention that I will be unable to do a partial mash because it requires me to have some additional LME, which I can't get in this country and would have to order in advance.

I still don't even know if the oats I have are instant/quick or the regular kind that require a partial mash (the package actually says "flaked oats"), but I have been reading other recipes where people put their oats in the oven at 325 F for about an hour before they steep them with the other grains. My recipe doesn't say to do this, but is it recommended? What effect will this have on my finished product? Is baking the oats before steeping an alternative to doing a partial mash?

Sorry to give this a bump. It's just that I haven't had any responses and I really need to figure out what to do before this weekend. Thanks in advance for any help.

DonMoleon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 am

DonMoleon wrote:Ok, due to my realization that I don't have a thermometer to measure my brewing temperature I have postponed my oatmeal stout until next weekend.

Yeah, a thermometer makes things easier...

Not sure what you mean about needing more LME to do a partial. Typically to do a partial, you would need additional base malt (2-row, etc) to provide the enzymes to do it.

Flaked oats are pre-gelatinized, meaning that the starches are exposed and available for enzymes to break down into sugars, and could just go straight into the mash. Recipes that toast the oats are doing that just for a bit more flavor development and contribution from the oats. It can give you a nuttier and 'oatier' impression. Baking them has no real effect on converting starches to sugar.

As was mentioned earlier, you are still gonna make beer if you don't mash the oats, and just do a steep, but if that was the case for me, I wouldn't bother putting the oats in and would just make a straight stout (possibly maltodextrin if your looking for more body).
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:17 am

DonMoleon wrote:Sorry to give this a bump. It's just that I haven't had any responses and I really need to figure out what to do before this weekend. Thanks in advance for any help.

And you never need to apologize for asking questions!
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Flaked oats are pre-gelatinized, meaning that the starches are exposed and available for enzymes to break down into sugars, and could just go straight into the mash. Recipes that toast the oats are doing that just for a bit more flavor development and contribution from the oats. It can give you a nuttier and 'oatier' impression. Baking them has no real effect on converting starches to sugar.

I would really like to make Oatmeal Stout rather than regular stout (that's why I bought that specific kit). I can't imagine why the ingredients kit company would provide non-quick oats and not instruct me to do a partial mash in the directions. Furthermore, they did not include any additional malt necessary for a partial mash. Do you think this means that the oats in the kit are in fact quick oats, and that is why they do not say a partial mash is necessary?

I really like they idea of baking the oats for a more toasty and nutty flavor. If it turns oat that these are just regular oats and I don't partially mash them, will the fact that I bake them have any effect on my beer flavor, ie will I still taste the toastiness/nuttiness?

Finally, should I not take any chances and just go out and buy a bunch of Quaker instant oats at the grocery store? Unlike the rest of the ingredients, that is one thing I can buy in Thailand.

DonMoleon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 pm

It is still gonna make beer, and may make damn fine beer. That being said, quick or not, oats would typically be mashed. Quick oats in a steep aren't really going to give you much more than the flaked you already have. You won't get fermentable sugars from them, but they may contribute to mouth feel and flavor (through addition of starch, proteins, lipids, etc).

spiderwrangler wrote:but if that was the case for me, I wouldn't bother putting the oats in and would just make a straight stout

It might not be ideal, but I'd say go for it as is and just do the steep, and see how it comes out. Since you don't have ready access to other ingredients, I don't want you to NOT brew just because I have a different viewpoint on things. I've the got the luxury of working part time at a homebrew shop that's a block from my apartment. Perhaps I shouldn't have even brought it up as a concern, but from your postings, you seem like the kind of fellow who wants to really know what you are doing before you start.

As Dirk said, the most important thing is to have fun!

One thing I have heard about toasting grains is that they can tend to put off some harsh volatile compounds after toasting, so many folk suggest putting them in a paper bag for a few days to off-gas. I don't know what your humidity is like where you are, so it may be better to skip that if they are gonna pull in moisture and get meh flavored.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: Perhaps I shouldn't have even brought it up as a concern, but from your postings, you seem like the kind of fellow who wants to really know what you are doing before you start.

As Dirk said, the most important thing is to have fun!

Agreed. Don, much like all first time brewers everyone wants to make an awesome beer the first time around, myself included. I can almost say with certainty that 99% of first batches are not great. Drinkable but not great. Don't let this discourage you though. I know I listened to the BN for months trying to soak up everything before brewing and looking back the best way to learn to brew is just to brew your batch and learn from your own personal mistakes. Within a batch or two you will learn a lot more than you would without ever having brewed. Don't overthink all the technical stuff otherwise your second batch will be a chore before you even start. Have fun, brew, mess up and learn from it. Keep it fun and brew your batch already :jnj
Afterlab

Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:19 pm

+1

Get brewing! :asshat:
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator