Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:36 am

Heard Nate and Roger talking about how good the Dankness IPA is on this weeks Sunday Session. Does anybody have the recipe?

Nate if you're out there, can you post the recipe?
___________________________

Corporal - Midwest Division
djnelson
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:10 am

Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:20 pm

djnelson wrote:Heard Nate and Roger talking about how good the Dankness IPA is on this weeks Sunday Session. Does anybody have the recipe?

Nate if you're out there, can you post the recipe?


Yep, here ya go:

10 gallon batch. Adjust accordingly depending on your batch size..
81% American 2-row
10% Belgian Pils
5% Crystal 15L
2% Carapils
2% Turbinado Sugar
Mash temp 150F, 45 minutes. Mash out 165F 15 min.
60 minute boil.
18 IBU Apollo @ 60 min.
18 IBU Summit @ 30 min.
Flame out: 2oz. Apollo, 2oz. Summit, 2oz. Citra
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001, ferment at 65F
Dry hop at 10 days into fermentation, 65F: 1oz. Apollo, 2.5oz. Summit, 2.5oz. Simcoe
Leave the beer on the dry hop for about 5 days maximum.
1.068 - 1.010, 7.5% ABV

Try it out and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
User avatar
nahthan
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:59 am
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:45 am

Nate,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm looking at brewing something similar and have a few questions...

What does your water profile look like for an IPA like this?

Also, are you simulating a whirlpool addition and letting the flame out hops soak for a bit before chilling?

I'm aiming for a similar gravity to IBU ratio as your recipe, but I'm wondering if the large flameout addition and a 20 or 30 minute stand at near boiling temps would make the beer too bitter. I'm guessing it won't, since you would have had the same issue when brewing it at Triple Rock.

Thanks!
cdburg
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:30 am
Location: Rocklin, CA

Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:09 pm

nahthan wrote:
djnelson wrote:Heard Nate and Roger talking about how good the Dankness IPA is on this weeks Sunday Session. Does anybody have the recipe?

Nate if you're out there, can you post the recipe?


Yep, here ya go:

10 gallon batch. Adjust accordingly depending on your batch size..
81% American 2-row
10% Belgian Pils
5% Crystal 15L
2% Carapils
2% Turbinado Sugar
Mash temp 150F, 45 minutes. Mash out 165F 15 min.
60 minute boil.
18 IBU Apollo @ 60 min.
18 IBU Summit @ 30 min.
Flame out: 2oz. Apollo, 2oz. Summit, 2oz. Citra
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001, ferment at 65F
Dry hop at 10 days into fermentation, 65F: 1oz. Apollo, 2.5oz. Summit, 2.5oz. Simcoe
Leave the beer on the dry hop for about 5 days maximum.
1.068 - 1.010, 7.5% ABV

Try it out and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!


I am still trying to wrap my mind around the use of simple sugar and carapils in this and other great hop forward beer recipes. They seen to contradict each other. Nate, what is the carapils doing that cant be achieved my mash temp, the same goes for the sugar addition. I am not asking to be a jerk, but it puzzles me. I know Vinny and Asty do the same thing. Can you help a brother out?

Mills
:bnarmy:
User avatar
Mills
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:12 am
Location: Northern Michigan

Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:44 pm

cdburg wrote:Nate,

Thanks for the recipe. I'm looking at brewing something similar and have a few questions...

What does your water profile look like for an IPA like this?

Also, are you simulating a whirlpool addition and letting the flame out hops soak for a bit before chilling?

I'm aiming for a similar gravity to IBU ratio as your recipe, but I'm wondering if the large flameout addition and a 20 or 30 minute stand at near boiling temps would make the beer too bitter. I'm guessing it won't, since you would have had the same issue when brewing it at Triple Rock.

Thanks!


Water profile is straight Northern California SF Bay Area East Bay Water. Very low ppm of almost everything, in the teens or 20s at the most. Look up the municipal water: EBMUD for the Oakland/Berkeley area.

I do let the flame out hops soak for a bit in the kettle on the homebrew level, but not more than about 3-5 minutes maximum.. Just long enough for me to finish connecting everything for plate chilling, and then, of course, a good portion of the liquid is still sitting there while the plate chilling happens. Play around with the flame-out/whirlpool addition in Promash/beersmith and pretend the flame-out hops were actually boiled for 5-10 minutes, and then move all of the other bittering additions out by another 5-10 minutes and see where your IBU lands. Take the difference of that number and the other IBU number that pretends that your flame-out addition adds no bitterness and that's probably closer to the approximate reality.

I hope that helps.
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
User avatar
nahthan
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:59 am
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Mills wrote:
nahthan wrote:
djnelson wrote:Heard Nate and Roger talking about how good the Dankness IPA is on this weeks Sunday Session. Does anybody have the recipe?

Nate if you're out there, can you post the recipe?


Yep, here ya go:

10 gallon batch. Adjust accordingly depending on your batch size..
81% American 2-row
10% Belgian Pils
5% Crystal 15L
2% Carapils
2% Turbinado Sugar
Mash temp 150F, 45 minutes. Mash out 165F 15 min.
60 minute boil.
18 IBU Apollo @ 60 min.
18 IBU Summit @ 30 min.
Flame out: 2oz. Apollo, 2oz. Summit, 2oz. Citra
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001, ferment at 65F
Dry hop at 10 days into fermentation, 65F: 1oz. Apollo, 2.5oz. Summit, 2.5oz. Simcoe
Leave the beer on the dry hop for about 5 days maximum.
1.068 - 1.010, 7.5% ABV

Try it out and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!


I am still trying to wrap my mind around the use of simple sugar and carapils in this and other great hop forward beer recipes. They seen to contradict each other. Nate, what is the carapils doing that cant be achieved my mash temp, the same goes for the sugar addition. I am not asking to be a jerk, but it puzzles me. I know Vinny and Asty do the same thing. Can you help a brother out?

Mills
:bnarmy:


Very good point, I've always had good luck using both simultaneously.. As if the little bit of carapils and/or crystal 15 insures some mouthfeel while the sugar encourages attenuation.

But, that said, I am sure also that a production brewer with more skills and experience than I would be able to actually achieve that without carapils and sugar. That would certainly simplify the brewery in terms of stocking and weighing out ingredients.

For example, how about no sugar and only 4% C15 or Carapils? Might be worth trying.
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
User avatar
nahthan
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:59 am
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:29 pm

My take on the Sugar/carapils thing is that sugar promotes dryness while carapils aids mouthfeel/foam. So you get a dryer beer with better foam and mouthfeel. Carapils isn't sweet and has almost no flavor contribution at all, so the two aren't really contradicting each other. The amount of world-class breweries that make IPAs like this is all the evidence that I need to see that it works.
SamGamgee
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:52 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA

Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Just brewed something inspired by this recipe:

Lowered OG to 1.060 (I don't need anymore 7.5abv beers in tap) and did 5% dextrose and sh*t canned the carapils. Went with Amarillo, as my local was out of citra.

However the Apollo and summit were in full force in the boil, the aroma was awesome. I like the Belgian pils thrown in the grist as well, but I'll know more after fermentation on how much and what character it imparts. Seems like a great recipe, can't wait to taste it.

Nate, I've seen you use carboys and dry hop with pellets... How do you siphon into the kegs without cursing pelletized hops? I really don't want to use hop bags on this beer considering its only a 5 day dry hop. Thanks again for the recipe.
duckmanco
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:35 am

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.