Re: Looking for Nate's Dankness IPA Recipe

Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:03 am

herbaljoe wrote:I just mean that at cold temps you extract different character from hops than you do at warm temps. (Well, there's a whole spectrum of this - the character is different depending on the temp.) I think most people prefer the character obtained from dry hopping in the mid to high 60s, whereas at the low 40s or even 30s you get a ton more "grassy" character and other less desirable things. I've spoken to many brewers who agree and I've proven it in my own brewery a few times. Now, with a beer that has already gone through a good dry hop period (5 - 10 days) most of the character is already extracted but you can still get some grassy & harsh notes if you leave it cold for too long after this. A couple days won't hurt you but just saying that if you leave it cold crashed for a week or more it'll change the flavor to something you might not like as much.

This would apply to hops in the keg too, yes? Not something I'd ever heard anyone talk about finding in that situation..
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks for posting the recipe. Would just like to confirm:

nahthan wrote:...
18 IBU Apollo @ 60 min.
18 IBU Summit @ 30 min.

only 36 IBU?

Also I couldn't get any citra - I do have columbus, zythos, cascade, and may have some centennial. My gut feeling is columbus' danky character would be best but then zythos and cent are a little more fruity and would be a bit more inline with citra, any advice on that?

Cheers!
denimglen

Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 am

denimglen wrote:Thanks for posting the recipe. Would just like to confirm:

nahthan wrote:...
18 IBU Apollo @ 60 min.
18 IBU Summit @ 30 min.

only 36 IBU?

Also I couldn't get any citra - I do have columbus, zythos, cascade, and may have some centennial. My gut feeling is columbus' danky character would be best but then zythos and cent are a little more fruity and would be a bit more inline with citra, any advice on that?

Cheers!

I am guessing that Nate means alpha acids are 18% not 18IBU.
ACESFULL

Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:14 am

If he meant %, then he hasn't given any weights, so I'm assuming he does indeed mean IBUs. The 6 ounces at flameout will contribute some bitterness, and a goodly perception of bitterness....
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm

ACESFULL wrote:
I am guessing that Nate means alpha acids are 18% not 18IBU.

18 IBUs is correct. Here is a quote from Nate about how he notes his recipes. This was found in his Citrus IPA Bomb Recipe post. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=24914

I prefer to give brewers IBU amount for the additions that contribute bittering, and then weights for any mash/flame-out/dry hop additions. That way each brewer can use their own preferred methods of calculating the exact weight for the bittering additions based on their own favorite software, formula and that individual hop's AA% range, or even substitute in a slightly different hop with a different AA% range.

Given that, I should mention all the IBU calculations that I did were in Rager with Promash.

Afterlab

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:30 am

spiderwrangler wrote:...The 6 ounces at flameout will contribute some bitterness, and a goodly perception of bitterness....

Thanks. I re-listened to The Dankness show last night and Nate said pretty much the same thing.
denimglen

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:27 am

I completely forgot about this recipe. I've been brewing Mr. Explosion Oakland IPA recipe that Nate did on Brewing TV.
Love that one. I'll have to fit this in on my brewing schedule.
VA_BeerGeek

Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Another possible reason you will see the Carapils and sugar on the same bill is capacity. I have talked to some brewers that just don't have the capacity to mash enough grain/boil the volume required in high gravity beers, so they do some Carapils to buffer the body and then add sugars to increase the ABV and then basically dilute the beer to a small degree. This is similar to what a lot of homebrewers do as well with "topping off" in the primary.

:jnj
Brewski09

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles