Little Sumpin Wild attempt

Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:21 am

I just wanted to give an update on my attempt to clone Little Sumpin Wild. Last year I e-mailed Jamil asking for a recipe and he came back with Sumpin Sumpin. I thought ok this will work I really like this beer but I really really like the Wild version. So, I tweeked the recipe a little. First, I wanted to get the gravity up a little. I brought it up to 1.083. Then I wanted to make it a bit darker and I added 2 oz. of chocolate wheat. I threw in some extra hops to bring the ibus to 65. And I pitched wlp530 abbey yeast.

Its been about three weeks since brew day. Gravity finished at 1.014. This will be real nice with a little age but Its so drinkable right now that I dont think It will last too long. I get a nose full of peach when served really cold. As it warms the Belgium yeast takes the stage and the alcohol becomes noticable. Man, this is some tasty brew that will knock you on your ass if your not careful.

As far as cloning Wild, I don't remember the yeast being so strong, but some conditioning could help. My version has a bit more alcohol but the balance of hops and malt seem right. I sort of think of this as a Belgium Wheat IIPA. Next time I brew this I think I'll ferment a little cooler, maybe around 65 instead of 67 and get a smoother alcohol flavor. Otherwise, I wouldn't change anything.
coastalbrewer

Re: Little Sumpin Wild attempt

Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:28 am

Care to share your recipe?
mthhurley

Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:26 pm

I like how you want to "clone" this beer but then change a large amount of the recipie and don't put any brett in it.
"Owning a Type R is like a dream... You wake up and it's gone!" - some Honda guy
pythoner

Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm pretty sure that there is no Brett in Little Sumpin Wild. I read a post by the brewer a while back and he claimed that the "Wild" refered to the Westmalle yeast he used. Anyway, I used the CYBI Little Sumpin Sumpin recipe as the base so I think its pretty close considering the Lagunitas website describes the Little Sumpin Wild as being a big sister to Sumpin Sumpin fermented with Belgium yeast. The bottle says "Westmalle Yeast" which I believe is Abbey Ale Yeast. Nonetheless, Its a good beer "cloned" or not.

Here's my version:

kettle volume: 7.5 gal (S.G.: 1.070)
boil: 90 min
final volume: 5.75 gal (S.G.: 1.083)
efficiency: 70%

10.0 lb 2-row
6.75 lb white wheat
2.50 lb torrified wheat
8.0 oz roasted wheat (roasted in oven)
2.0 oz chocolate wheat
1.0 lb rice hulls

0.5 oz nugget 90 min
0.25 oz horizon 90 min
0.25 oz summit 90 min
0.5 oz willamette 45 min
0.5 oz willamette 15 min
1.0 oz tettnanger 15 min (sub for santiam)
1.0 oz cascade dry
1.0 oz centennial dry
1.0 oz chinook dry
1.0 oz simcoe dry
1.0 oz columbus dry
1.0 oz amarillo dry

wlp530 abbey ale
ferment 67 F

mash in 150 F 60 min
mash out 168 F 15 min
sparge 168 F 30 min
coastalbrewer

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:34 am

What is the dry hop schedule?
guffBREW

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:34 pm

guffBREW wrote:What is the dry hop schedule?

You are unlikely to get a response as the last time the OP logged into the forum was years ago.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:53 pm

Are you sure the OP wasn't Paxton, under a pseudonym?

As it warms the Belgium yeast takes the stage and the alcohol becomes noticable.

I sort of think of this as a Belgium Wheat IIPA.
dogismycopilot

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles