Re: More Props to Mike McDole

Tue May 19, 2009 9:58 am

You're most welcome. I share all my recipes and nothing pleases me more than to have someone make a beer they really like with my recipe, especially this one. It's the first all-grain recipe I designed myself back when I didn't belong to a homebrew club or have anyone to taste my beer other than my LHBS and my wife.

Squarely out of style, it still manages to get it's share of ribbons. I placed second in brown ales with it at the Maltose Falcons Mayfaire last month and the third place finisher used the same recipe. It placed first in the Specialty category at the NHC West Region as an Imperial American Brown. Back in 2003 I entered it into the KGB Big Batch Brew Bash put on by the Kuykendahl Gran Brewers in Houston. It's an annual single style competition and that year it was American Brown Ale. The Janet's Brown took second out of 96 entries. It then placed first in the second round of the national competition in 2004.

Glad to see people winning and enjoying the beer. I'm hoping I can get it into the GABF ProAm this year.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Thu May 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Alright Tasty, I've brewed your Janet's Brown, Tasty APA, Celebration Ale, and Pliny recipes. What else you got that you're holding out on us :wink: . Got anything else that's equally amazing? Please share. I need to brew something new.
Primary: Surley Bender
2ndary: ESB and Black Forest Stout (which has formed a pellicle, guess I'll ride it out)
On Tap:
Evin Twin
Belgian Stout
In Bottles:
Tasty's APA
Black IPA
Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS
S. English Brown
summy

Fri May 22, 2009 5:15 am

I just got my scoresheets from the 1st round of Nationals this year, and my Janet's Brown scored 40.5....and went to a "mini best of show" but did not place.....still, 40.5 is my highest scoring beer in a comp to date, so I'm pretty psyched! Brew Strong Tasty, thanks for all the encouragement....and fucking-fantastic recipes!!!!!!

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Fri May 22, 2009 6:43 am

summy wrote:Alright Tasty, I've brewed your Janet's Brown, Tasty APA, Celebration Ale, and Pliny recipes. What else you got that you're holding out on us :wink: . Got anything else that's equally amazing? Please share. I need to brew something new.

I don't know if you do lagers, especially this time of year (respects to our bros in the AU/NZ), but I do make a Dortmunder Export that has earned some hardware (okay I've also added peach extract and placed as well, so I'm a whore). When I make beer for a wedding, graduation, or dog fight :) , this is the beer I always make. Everyone seems to love it. Even the Bud drinkers. I guess you could say it's "tasty". If it wasn't I would change it. (I wish all craft brewers would consider this philosophy.)

As you might expect, I do something sorta odd with the malt bill by using a fair amount of two row in this Pilsner style. It seems to round it out.

Batch Size (Gal): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.050
Anticipated SRM: 4.9
Anticipated IBU: 23.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Min

48.0 12.00 lbs. Pilsner
16.0 4.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row)
16.0 4.00 lbs. Munich Malt
12.0 3.00 lbs. Flaked Wheat
8.0 2.00 lbs. Cara-Pils

1.50 oz. Santiam Pellet 6.00 AA 60 min.
4.00 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.00 AA Hopback

White Labs WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast

Intermediate Rest Temp : 143 Time: 10
Saccharification Rest Temp : 151 Time: 30
Mash-out Rest Temp : 170 Time: 15
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 45

I ask one favor, do not use Nelson Sauvin hops in this recipe :wink:. I want to be the first to do it (whenever I can get some). The beer already has a "champagne" feel to it and that hop would just be nuts.

I probably gave this recipe out on the Jamil Show.

Tasty
Last edited by TastyMcD on Fri May 22, 2009 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Fri May 22, 2009 6:51 am

Whitebeard_Brewer wrote:I just got my scoresheets from the 1st round of Nationals this year, and my Janet's Brown scored 40.5....and went to a "mini best of show" but did not place.....still, 40.5 is my highest scoring beer in a comp to date, so I'm pretty psyched! Brew Strong Tasty, thanks for all the encouragement....and fucking-fantastic recipes!!!!!!

A recipe is just the beginning. A well fermented beer is the end. Congrats on breaking the 40 barrier.

I'm getting the feeling that there were dozens of Janet's Brown Ale's in the national this year. I think they all got beat out by the Tasty APA's. :) Mine did. Damn Chad!

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Sun May 24, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks for the Dortmunder recipe! That'll be next on my list of batches. Brewing up the Pliny clone tomorrow and using the wyeast imperial ale blend.
Primary: Surley Bender
2ndary: ESB and Black Forest Stout (which has formed a pellicle, guess I'll ride it out)
On Tap:
Evin Twin
Belgian Stout
In Bottles:
Tasty's APA
Black IPA
Bourbon Barrel Aged RIS
S. English Brown
summy

Sun May 24, 2009 1:00 pm

(BTW Elbone, I also noticed you (I think it was you), did very well in this comp. 7 ribbons? Nice work.)

That was me. :D I entered 9 beers in 10 categories (I entered my JBA in 23A again as an India Brown but it didn't place, i think it's getting long in the tooth and the hops are dropping out) 7 ribbons and an Honorable Mention. I was pretty jazzed!

I had my entries hand-delivered by a member of our club, The Carboy Junkies, who just happened to be going to Atlanta. I think that made a big difference. He took a second and a third- his first ever.

Congrats on the blue ribbon, Dan! :jnj

Thanks again to the BN for all the great advice and recipes. My Moose Drool clone took 1st place in NE Brown and most of my other recipes were either Jamil's, Tasty's or Plise's.
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
Elbone

Mon May 25, 2009 1:54 pm

I just wanted to jump in on this thread and give a shout out to Tasty. I just brewed his APA at the weekend, and it's smelling great in the fermenter. Getting US hops down here in New Zealand is a damned expensive business but I'm sure it's going to be well worth it.

Janet's Brown Ale is in my brew schedule in a couple of months time. Hopefully at least one of these beers will go into the New Zealand NHC in July.

Thanks for all the great input Tasty, we love ya, even down here in NZ!

Cheers,

Martin
Martin
Auckland, New Zealand
Homebrewer and member of the Society of Beer Advocates (SOBA) http://www.soba.org.nz
mgbridges

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles