Question on beer and wine yeast

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Ok guys, my roomates girlfriend keeps eyeballing my bucket of trub and yeast once I transfer it to bottles. I know what she is thinking cause she is a germ freak (she might as well be OCD) My question is, (before she starts up a conversation on the subject).....does beer yeast pose any threats to infections or to wounds and cuts? (Personally I say not really since yeast is abound friggen everywhere.) And does simply dumping the trub and yeast onto the backyard grass pose any problems? Please folks, I need some ammo here, when she starts pulling shit out of her ass about how dangerous beer yeast can be. I need to be sure on this subject to counteract her perceived paranoia.
ed71

Re: Question on beer and wine yeast

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 pm

I read about some dude a few months ago who blew a .12 even though he hadn't had a drink in more than a day. Turns out he had a huge buildup of yeast in his system and it was fermenting the sugars in his gut. He was constantly drunk.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/beer-belly-man-becomes-drunk-when-stomach-turns-into-brewery/
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 pm

Other than that one case, no. The worst thing that your beer yeast could do is ferment damaged produce or other sugar sources. If she starts yammering about her yeast infections, they are different yeast, and she shouldn't be squatting down to the the neck of your carboys in the first place. Candida vs Saccharomyces... not the same thing.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:53 am

Hahahaha! Yeah I thought so. The only thing I can remember bad about it was when I was younger and drank some fermenting grape juice (I had used a grape juice carton size box and added bakers yeast) Well, like an idiot I drank the whole carton box while it was still in the fermenting stage and sucked down the small amount of yeast at the bottom. Next few days I had "thrush" like symptoms in my mouth. It went away after a while with constant use of listerine and brushing.
ed71

Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:37 am

Yeast ghosts are a real concern though.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:47 am

I'd say collect a vial's worth of the slurry & chug it. Wait a couple hours. Then find out if it poses any threat to those around you, or between you & the nearest shitter. :D For extra points, do it right before a long car trip. Country roads give a decent point multiplier. Bumpy country roads are for beating the high score & only to be attempted by professionals.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:53 pm

"pulling shit out yer ass..." is the ONLY dangerous thing i spotted in this detritus of a thread.
MoRdAnTlY [Mr. Wolf '91 - '12]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, olny the frist and lsat ltteers need be at the rghit pclae. Tihs is becsuae the hamun mnid deos not raed evrey lteter by iteslf, but the wrod as a whloe.
mordantly

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:58 pm

mordantly wrote:"pulling shit out yer ass..." is the ONLY dangerous thing i spotted in this detritus of a thread.

You go for the bonus multiplier, don't you?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients