Storing milled grain

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm all ready to brew, but my propane burner just broke. I won't be able to replace it for awhile, and I was wondering how long I can store my grain before it will go bad since it's already been through the mill. It's incredibly hot & humid in MN right now. If I leave it in the bag with a twist tie holding it closed will it last a week or two? Should I refrigerate it? I usually mill right before brewing, and have no experience storing malt for extended periods of time.

Thanks for any help...
Fierce Beard

Re: Storing milled grain

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:53 pm

I think refrigerating it would be a good idea to prevent mold or funk that could grow from collecting moisture.

How did the burner go out? Maybe you could get some wood and build a fire.
JoeBeer100

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:05 pm

I got the thing a few years ago at a garage sale for $20. It was pretty rusty, and I cleaned it up as much as I could, but the damage had been done. The structure that supports the kettle gave out while I was setting it up, so it won't hold the kettle up, and the burner itself fell out onto the ground. I should have replaced it some time ago, but never got around to it. I'll probably buy one next week, but my brewday is shot for now. I'm just glad it happened before I got the kettle going, that would have been bad.
Fierce Beard

Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:12 pm

Bummer dude. Cement blocks might work to support the kettle. Then you would have to find a way to hold up the burner. Craigslist is a good thing for old turkey fryers.
JoeBeer100

Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:03 am

Your grain will be fine for at least 1 wk. milled in that sort of bag. Just try to keep it cool and moisture free until using. Sounds like its time to buck up for a new burner/stand.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:41 am

I'm scouring craigslist for burners - I just dropped my homebrew budget on 2 kegs and a CO2 tank a month ago, so I was hoping to scrape by with my current burner for awhile longer, but that wasn't in the cards. And just when brewing became more fun and easy, too!
Be Excellent To Each Other...
Fierce Beard

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:08 am

That sucks. I just sold my old HLT burner a month or 2 ago. OTOH, it did give the guy the final kick in the ass to buy his first brew kit. Too bad you don't live a bit closer, I still have my old kettle burner & even though I won't sell it, I'd definitely loan it out for a little while.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 am

Ozwald wrote:That sucks. I just sold my old HLT burner a month or 2 ago. OTOH, it did give the guy the final kick in the ass to buy his first brew kit. Too bad you don't live a bit closer, I still have my old kettle burner & even though I won't sell it, I'd definitely loan it out for a little while.

Oz won't sell it to you simply in case his heat goes out during one of those frigid Montana nights. But at least he is good at sharing... :jnj
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients