Re: Pomegranate Fruit

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 am

BeaverBarber wrote:
Ozwald wrote:I've never heard of gastrointestinal issues with sours, only with yeast-laden beers. Regular ol brewer's yeast is a natural laxative after all. One of the reasons I don't do Hef's anymore... besides the fact that I haven't had a decent one in years. Drink a few too many of them, though, and you'll suddenly remember the term "shart" :lol:

Yes, Birra Etrusca is a yeasty, cloudy beer; no problems with sours in general. All I know is it was a star-filled winter's night in San Antonio...which is about 60 degrees. I downed a bottle of Birra Etrusca. The next day, I got in a lot more reading than usual. In a way, you could say that cloudy beers can potentially make you smarter.

Could have been something you are that night too. In your previous post you said its a wild beer so it will give you diarrhea. That's why I was wondering.... I've never had a problem with beer, but have had problems with certain restaurants.
BrewerAdam

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:33 am

ive been lucky. Every time ive sharted, i was wearing brown and was not far from home.
Yep, im a member!
snowcapt

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 am

When I was in Israel they had fresh squeezed pomegranate everywhere you went. It was delicious, but it gave me nasty gas having the pure pomegranate juice. Lets just say my friends on the tour with me were not happy on the 2 hour bus ride... but didn't get the shits. Maybe you had a reaction to the pomegranate rather than the wild yeast.

I really enjoy Schmaltz Brewing Company's pomegranate beer

http://www.shmaltzbrewing.com/HEBREW/origin.html
theobrew

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 am

I think it is Fort Collins Brewery who makes Major Tom's Pomegranate Wheat. That's the only pomegranate beer I've had.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:24 pm

BrewerAdam wrote:
BeaverBarber wrote:
bigwaterbrewer wrote:I've recently come across 18 free pomegranates. I thought I could use it in a wheat beer for the summer. I plan on freezing the fruit until then. Anybody use pomegranates before? I was wondering if anybody has an idea about quantity for a 5 gallon batch.

Dogfish Head makes a beer called Birra Etrusca Bronze, which has a lot of pomegranate and honey. It's a wild beer, so it'll give you a massive case of diahrrea, but if you're wondering what a pomegranate beer tastes like, you've got the next day off, and you've got plenty of toilet paper, then it's out there to try.

Wild beer giving you diahrrea? Are you saying all lambics, Flanders, sours, etc give you diahrrea? Never had that happen to me.

If I am partaking in a sour tasting or drinking say a full 750 myself this tends to happen to me. I always look at it as a clean out. I just know its going to happen.
ACESFULL

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients