Rye and Wheat IPA's

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:54 pm

I've looked at several recipes for these styles of IPA, and seem to find that either the rye or wheat only compose of ~10% or so of the grist... I am curious as to why not more? Shouldn't we want the character of those grains to come out more? Why call it a wheat or rye p.a. if not? I mean, I can add 1# of C10 to a regular American IPA, but I don't feel that I should call this a caramel IPA... I don't think the lack of these grains should be due to haze production, as a lot of hops will and should cause this in a good IPA. Or is it that we don't want the hops to be muted/confused with the malt flavor?
You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it

The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it
LostBoy

Re: Rye and Wheat IPA's

Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:58 pm

Try it! No reason not to.
(I'd suggest a protein rest, though).

Go for it!
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:28 am

Doesn't Little Sumpin Sumpin come in just under 40% wheat?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:52 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Doesn't Little Sumpin Sumpin come in just under 40% wheat?

I think it's right around 50%. Either way, it's definitely sumpin'. I just killed my last bottle of it last night... hopefully there's still some available around here. Such a damn tasty beer.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:13 pm

I was talking with the brewery folks from Wasatch Brewing the other day about their Ghost Rider White IPA (also drank quite a few during that conversation). This one runs about 25% wheat. Damned fine IPA.

My own rye IPA comes in at about 20% rye and really doesn't need more than that. It's nice and chewy with lots of hop flavor and aroma. I went through 5 gallons of that in less than an hour at a beer fest yesterday. Now I need to make it again.

You can go much higher levels with specialty grains like that but you need to think about the flavor you get from adding at "normal" levels and then consider what it would be like if that flavor was that much more intense. I did a 100% oat beer a couple of years back that I ended up having to dump. The cloying flavor of that much oats was too much to handle. Fun experiment though. Use whatever % you want, but you might want to plan to brew it a couple of different times during the next year, increasing the amount of wheat or rye each time. This will be a safer guide as to the maximum amount you can use.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Brewing Ingredients