Re: Please prove me wrong

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:58 pm

captain carrot wrote:Not enough to not post........ :asshat:

Only after others posted here, making it worth my time to read...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:36 pm

captain carrot wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:
butterman wrote:I'm a little surprised that that there is so little interest here from the brewing community

I just wasn't sure what the hell you were saying. What was it you were quoting? The lack of complete sentences and statements made me lose interest half way though.

Not enough to not post........ :asshat:

I thought we were speaking/writing the same language. I couldn't have said it more simply, not that my comment is at all important.

Interesting, though, that you & others have latched onto the unimportant but have chosen to ignore the question in my OP. I wonder why that is so?

I might add "Not enough not to post" is a sarcastic, grammatically incorrect, double negative sentence, that does not add to the thread in any way.

The recipe is at;
http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Tasty APA.html

It's mentioned in a BN thread, which I had to search for. Obviously respondees to my OP didn't know it was there or don't care that it's there. I fully understand the dangers of my approach, an approach that does require a bit of mental effort, but it seems I'm talking to people who don't want to know about it. So I wonder why you bother to reply at all (the first 25 viewers of the thread didn't reply, which I respect but don't necessarily understand, hence the original comment of a lack of interest).

C'mon guys, where are those that can "talk turkey" sensibly on my OP?
butterman

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:10 am

MG should be 18 not 118. i only use RO water and tweak it with the bru'n water spreadsheet https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/
nmber0nestunna

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:44 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
butterman wrote:I'm a little surprised that that there is so little interest here from the brewing community

I just wasn't sure what the hell you were saying. What was it you were quoting? The lack of complete sentences and statements made me lose interest half way though.

+1

I didn't realize we had a lack of people playing in water chem. What I've seen, however, is that the folks on this board seem to be a little smarter about it. On another forum to remain nameless, veteran posters are telling people on their 3rd batch that they should be adding this or that without either of them having a clue what's on the water report. I'm with BDawg, don't mess with it if you don't have to, and if you don't have a water report, you shouldn't be doing any additions in the first place (besides maybe a dash of gypsum). Can't win a race if you don't know where the starting line is.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:36 am

Ozwald wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:

+1

I didn't realize we had a lack of people playing in water chem. What I've seen, however, is that the folks on this board seem to be a little smarter about it. On another forum to remain nameless, veteran posters are telling people on their 3rd batch that they should be adding this or that without either of them having a clue what's on the water report. I'm with BDawg, don't mess with it if you don't have to, and if you don't have a water report, you shouldn't be doing any additions in the first place (besides maybe a dash of gypsum). Can't win a race if you don't know where the starting line is.

Well to be reasonable you must also assume that there is probably a smallish clutch of people who DO KNOW what they are doing, that do have water reports, or do send their water off to Ward's for analysis.

However, I do realize it's not every persons thing & it would be foolish to mess with water chemistry without requisite knowledge.

Let me correct the perception that I work with water reports. I don't!
Where I come from they are only available as a 5 yearly analysis, albeit averages, so their really quite useless. In addition here we don't have the reasonable analysis cost of Wards in the US, not that I would be interested in that approach.

In my case I often work with pure RO water & salt additions if I'm of the opinion that filtered tap water is not within the realm of a decent brew profile. For instance my local water is regularly extremely high in chlorides.

My perception is that not a small number of brewers globally add salts to their mashes, HLT & boil but only in teaspoon measures, so lets not disparage those who may want to be a little more scientific with additions using spreadsheets & electronic measurement devices. There's room for all of us, surely.

And last but not least thanks to another junior member (mmber0nestunna) who took the time to answer my Mg question, not to question my methodology. Plaudits to you, mate!

In the absence of a counter reply to my original "Please prove me wrong" OP I can only assume that brewing theory doesn't necessarily always come together in practice.

Cheers All
butterman

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:37 am

Yes, I'm one of them & I know of several others in the Army. I use the ProMash spreadsheet & measure my salts to the tenth of a gram on a scale I calibrate with lab weights monthly.

As to the rest, I honestly still have no idea what your original post was even about. If you're starting with R.O., that's just as good as having your water report - you know where you're starting. That's what counts if you're going to use additions. If you don't know where the starting line is, how do you build appropriate water. It's one of the last things to learn, tweak & perfect in the brewing process for a good reason. You can make excellent beer without messing with it, if you do end up tweaking the water it's not that huge of a difference (like putting a polish on that shiny clean kettle; polish isn't going to do shit to a marred up, painted & corroded piece of steel, just like tweaking water won't help a beer that hasn't been dialed in), & more often than not it can make a good beer worse if you don't know what you're ending up with (hence knowing where that starting point is). It's not something people should be messing with until they understand a ton of other things about the process.

If that has anything to do with your original post, I have no idea. I read it again & still have no clue what you're talking about. Just my opinion on approaching brewing water chem.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:23 am

Ozwald wrote:If that has anything to do with your original post, I have no idea. I read it again & still have no clue what you're talking about.

I feel like I'm reading a more intelligent version of a "Porter Smith" feedback email.

BM, I'm not trying to disparage your interest and need to get your water dialed in, it just isn't something that is necessary for me with the water I have readily available. It just wasn't clear to me what you were trying to ask in your OP... If you haven't read any of the articles by AJ deLange, I recommend checking them out.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients