Dry hopping at the end o fermentation - scrub o2 or convect?

Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm

I figure for my hundredth post and first topic started, I will try to start a discussion about the reason for putting dry hops in during the tail end of fermentation. I didn't see this discussion around, so if it has happened before, my apologies.

I have read and heard a few different reasons for why to do it, and some of them I don't agree with, and figure it would be a worthwhile discussion. Hopefully those that disagree (or agree) can chime in and a good discussion had.

Here is why I like to start my dry hop towards the end of fermentation (directly into the fermenter): The addition of dry hops is going to add oxygen. Since there is still a bit of CO2 production, that should hopefully push the newly introduced oxygen out. I like to dry hop fairly late such that only a little CO2 pushes out, and thus does not push out all of the hop flavor I am trying to add. There is also likely to be less yeast in suspension for the hop oils to bind to before they join the beer.

A reason I hear about dry hopping in the primary with which I disagree: The fermenting wort will convect the hops throughout the fermenter. It seems to me that if you add your hops when there is still enough convection to keep those hops going for a bit, you will also be pushing out a whole lot of CO2 and thus the delicious hop aromas you are working so hard to get in will mostly all be pushed out of the fermenter.

I dry hop when I think the fermentation is 90+% done, which means the pellets break apart, sit on top of the beer, and slowly mix and fall to the bottom (I do swirl lightly occasionally). I haven't done many side by sides, and have only dry hopped with pellets on 10-15 (or so) batches, so I am looking for input more than trying to make a point.

What do you all think?
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Re: Dry hopping at the end o fermentation - scrub o2 or conv

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm

After listening to the CYBI Union Jack show and hearing from the horses mouth that yeast in the presence of hop oils creates some interesting flavors and aromas, and then hearing Stan H. on the Sunday session say that just now scientists are beginning to look into what happens with yeast and dry hopping combine.

Add that to the whole moving of the pellets during active ferment and scrubbing off o2 (probably negligible in the homebrew world) and I'm sold. I recently tried it on Denny's Rye IPA with an ounce of colombus and it just tasted so saturated with hop character. So as I haven't seen a downside to the idea, I'll keep doing it.
duckmanco

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:45 am

duckmanco wrote:scrubbing off o2 (probably negligible in the homebrew world)

I am unsure how this is negligible in the homebrew world, except for those who drink their beer really quickly (I can't drink as fast as I brew so O2 pickup gets a chance to show up). Either way, the biotransformation argument is good enough that I will have to perform a series of split batch tests in the coming weeks. Thanks for the response!
adamK

Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:54 pm

adamK wrote: except for those who drink their beer really quickly (I can't drink as fast as I brew so O2 pickup gets a chance to show up).

Huh?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:32 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
adamK wrote: except for those who drink their beer really quickly (I can't drink as fast as I brew so O2 pickup gets a chance to show up).

Huh?

The O2 might take some time to show itself, so many won't see it if they brew and drink it fast enough (I made an assumption about what was the cause of being negligible in homebrew - but you know what they say about assumptions - they make an :asshat: out of :unicornrainbow: ).
adamK

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 am

Ah, I see what you were going for... in that case most of the time if you are dry hopping, you aren't planning on keeping that beer sitting around forever either...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

I don't buy the convect thing either. In my glass carboy the hops sit mostly on top of the fermenting beer due to nucleating co2 bubbles and keeping the afloat. Then I cool, the CO2 bubbles dissolve back into the beer and the hops drop to the bottom.
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 pm

Personal opinion - I think the dry hop comes away "brighter" when done in secondary off the yeast. I can be quite the lazy brewer at times but I always seem to regret dry hopping the primary.
MNHazmat

Return to Brewing Ingredients