Re: Dry Hopping in Primary...why not?

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:25 am

Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:Another good source of info is any episode of Can You Brew It where Nate is the brewer.

The Green Flash West Coast IPA episode is when I started feeling better about dry hopping in primary after hearing Nathan talk about how he did the clone. And even rousing the hops every couple days as well.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:28 am

TheDarkSide wrote:
Dirk McLargeHuge wrote:Another good source of info is any episode of Can You Brew It where Nate is the brewer.

The Green Flash West Coast IPA episode is when I started feeling better about dry hopping in primary after hearing Nathan talk about how he did the clone. And even rousing the hops every couple days as well.

I couldn't remember which episode was the best, but that was it! :jnj
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:35 am

+1 to a lot of the above info.

I wait for fermentation to finish up, dump in the dry hops & keg a few days later. If there's something special about the yeast cake, I might harvest it first, but that's extremely rare. Even when repitching, a quick yeast rinse will get 90%+ of the dry hop matter out of the sample. Prop it with a starter & I don't even worry about the oils.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 am

Sierra Nevada does it to some extent. (Read Stan's book) If your worried about losing some of the flavor to the yeast, do as Tasty suggests, "add more hops" :bnarmy: . Even if are transferring, there will still be yeast present. Do swirl the carboy though, that thick green mass on top is not in contact with the beer.
hoodie

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:00 am

hoodie wrote:If your worried about losing some of the flavor to the yeast, do as Tasty suggests, "add more hops" :bnarmy:
As with filtering, it's a recipe issue. :lol:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:55 am

TheDarkSide wrote:

Thanks a bunch Darkside and Dirk. I have to say as a new brewer my IPA is the most popular among my friends and family. Nothing like a heavy dose of flamout hops and a double round of dry hopping to cover up all the screw ups along the way! :lol:
:jnj
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients