Re: Gelatin

Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:45 pm

RiggsSpiltMyDrank wrote:So gelatin > filtering? I can't wait to be brewing again, and this is a new process that I am looking into adding.

It is a lot easier and if you cold crash before hand and add it to cold beer I think it makes your beer look filtered. It is also much cheaper...
Stinkfist

Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Yep-
Gelatin works great-

Glad you tried it.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:14 am

Stinkfist wrote:
RiggsSpiltMyDrank wrote:So gelatin > filtering? I can't wait to be brewing again, and this is a new process that I am looking into adding.

It is a lot easier and if you cold crash before hand and add it to cold beer I think it makes your beer look filtered. It is also much cheaper...

I added mine at a cool room temp & got the same result.

Much, much, much, much better IMO. I bought a filter, used it once. The only reason it didn't get thrown in the trash is the fact that it can be morphed into a randall if I ever want one. It worked, made the beer crystal clear but it was a huge pain in the ass to use. Plenty of potential contamination issues too. Gelatin was super simple, even doing 6 kegs at once. I prepped the gelatin in a big batch and poured a measured amount in each keg, as the keg before it was filling, time I would've been just standing around anyways. It's been a couple years since that filtered batch, but I'd be willing to bet the current Blonde on gelatin is more clear than the filtered one was.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients