Re: Lactose

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I asked around and was told 1 is the standard but 2 does work and isn't bad. I bought 2 and was debating if I should add 1 or 2 up until the moment I brewed. I missed my temp and got my mash at 147 so I decided to add 2 to possibly make up for body.
theobrew

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:13 pm

Lemme know how that turns out.....I just ordered grains to do a sweet stout myself.....looking forward to it. Also, gonna run it off Nitro!!

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:29 pm

Whitebeard,

It actually came out really well! Not sure if the low mash temp caused for better attenuation and made the added 2 lbs of lactose not too much. But I like it a lot. I decided to forgo the vanilla because I added coco nibs in secondary. I like sweet milk stouts so I'm really liking this beer but if you are not a fan of the style 2 lbs may be too much.
theobrew

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:39 am

theobrew wrote:Whitebeard,

It actually came out really well! Not sure if the low mash temp caused for better attenuation and made the added 2 lbs of lactose not too much. But I like it a lot. I decided to forgo the vanilla because I added coco nibs in secondary. I like sweet milk stouts so I'm really liking this beer but if you are not a fan of the style 2 lbs may be too much.

Thanks brotha, should be brewing mine soon....will let you know how it turns out....BTW, I'm using the recipe from BCS, it called for 1lb for a 5 gallon batch, I'm doing 10 gallons.

Sergeant, Gulf Coast, Air Force Div.

Keeper of the :asshat: 2011-2012

"Push keeps shoving something in my mouth" Kim Woods

BJCP Judge
Whitebeard_Brewer

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients