Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Yes, the pump head comes off with a couple of screws.

I use the conicals mainly for lagers, but I'll also make ales in my 12 gallon conical when I'm doing a 10 gallon batch.
jamilz

Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:34 am

Hey Jamil,
Which pump are you using to do the recirculation? Is that a March 809? It seems like the lower limit for a decent pump is about $100.

btw, I just finished listening to the first show you did on the brewing network back in July. Thx. for sharing all the info, especially the tips about yeast.. And I also like the idea of doing hoppy ales with all of the hops in the last 10 minutes of the boil. I shall have to try that.. Cheers,
nahthanS

Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:03 am

Nathan, thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the pump isn't cheap either, but many people have pumps to use with their brew systems, so there is no incremental cost.
jamilz

Pump, Therminator...

Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:31 pm

I invested in the March 809 pump & a Therminator. After a couple of 'dry' runs with boiling water to work out some kinks with the plumbing, I am satisfied with the results. 5 Gallons of 1.045 wort down to 64F as fast as I could pump it out of the kettle. The only drawback, as with all counterflow and heat exchangers, is all of that cold break you manage to bring into the fermenter. I used a boil screen at the bottom of the kettle, plus a screen in the plumbing, just after the kettle valve (before the pump), to help minimize the solids, but there's still a decent amount in there.. Anyone else who's doing plate or counterflow chilling have some tips for filtering hot wort?

For that next batch of super clear lager, Jamil's immersion/recurculation method might be one of the best ways to 1. cool super fast, 2. leave the cold break behind.. Now that I have the pump anyways, Perhaps I'll try that next.
nahthanS

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment