Whirlpool- IC-hop advice

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 am

Forgive me if this has been talked about. I'm not finding any answers. I'm ditching my plate chiller for Jamil's IC, whirlpool method. I have a march pump and installed a whirlpool valve on my kettle for recirc.

any problems with pellet hops clogging march pump?

I have purchased a 6" diameter by 14" long stainless steal hop strainer that hinges on the side of my 20gal kettle.
anyone use something like this, and would it effect the trub cone?

Thanks fellow brewers for any input/advice!
dubber56

Re: Whirlpool- IC-hop advice

Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:33 am

You shouldn't have a problem at all ... no screen and just the IC whirlpool on my system. I have been brewing with the same March pump for ~8 years with no issues.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 am

Similar results as Eagledude. I have a chugger pump, and I just chuck all the hops in there (pellet) without any screens or strainers and haven't ever had any problems at all. For sure the stuff is going through there too, but the pump is strong like bull.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks guys. You have gave me confidence with the new method of chilling. Cant wait to try it.
dubber56

Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:53 pm

dubber56 wrote:Forgive me if this has been talked about. I'm not finding any answers. I'm ditching my plate chiller for Jamil's IC, whirlpool method. I have a march pump and installed a whirlpool valve on my kettle for recirc.

any problems with pellet hops clogging march pump?

I have purchased a 6" diameter by 14" long stainless steal hop strainer that hinges on the side of my 20gal kettle.
anyone use something like this, and would it effect the trub cone?

Thanks fellow brewers for any input/advice!

Why are you ditching the plate chiller?
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Return to Brewing Equipment