Jacketed Mash Tun - Liquid not Steam

Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Before I venture into my next build, has anyone seen breweries or home breweries use Liquid Heated Mash Tuns vs. Steam jackets? I assume the big boys use steam to control mash temps and rest steps.

That is, using hot water, at some temperature above your mash step, to control and even step up the mash temps? I was thinking of a jacketed rectangular stainless double wall mash tun, in which the HLT would be heated to some temperature above the mash needs and circulated from HLT to mash tun and then back to the electrically heated and controlled HLT.

Anyone have any experience with this or seen this done? I would like some feedback. Thanks!
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Re: Jacketed Mash Tun - Liquid not Steam

Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:10 am

It's basically a HERMS system just done a little differently. I'd imagine it'd be less efficient than an immersed coil though, unless the jacket was designed with some sort of baffles to direct flow ie making the jacket into a large coil with helical baffles. Even then it would have less contact area than an immersed coil.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Equipment