DIY Wort Chiller Help

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:26 am

Hey Everyone- I'd like to first start off that I'm a newbie.... I searched the forum for DIY immersion wort chillers and I couldn't find any related topic. Now, I'm looking for some help.

Anyone have any links they could provide me or a grocery list? I'm looking for something basic and affordable. I found a few videos online but they all use different techniques and methods.

Thanks!
HeyAwesomeDude

Re: DIY Wort Chiller Help

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:56 am

While I appreciate the DIY spirit (I built most of my equipment), I'm not sure this is the best time for it. I built one with 3/8 copper tubing and ended up spending just about as much on the parts (tubing, fittings, hose, etc) as it would have cost to just buy one premade from northern brewer or similar. If I had to get another one for some reason, I would probably just buy it.

I think most of it just came from the cost of copper tubing, which is high, and then the high price for most of the fittings to get from the 3/8 tubing to garden hose. Mine was also less tubing than some, only using about 30'. Those ones run about 70 bucks I think. If you are making one with a lot more tubing in it (70' or something) it might work out better in your favor.

My original one from many years ago (that didn't cool very fast due to the low flow rate in the narrow tubing) use the following from Lowes:

1 - 20' 1/4" copper tubing - $20
2 - 1/4" tubing to garden hose compression fittings - $6 each
1 - 6' #6AWG copper ground wire (solid, not stranded for weaving between the coils to hold it all together) - $6 (?)

So, I had a chiller for 38 bucks give or take...but it didn't work all that well and I ended up spending 70 bucks making a bigger one later anyway.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:52 am

Agreed!

The key is getting the materials cheap. Two years ago I had a tiny ineffective chiller and up graded to a larger brewery, so I needed a real chiller. I also added a pump. I found a 60' coil of 1/2" tubing and all the slip fittings and hose adapters at a local second hand hardware/junk store. All of it new stuff ~$70 if I recall. Then bought a propane torch and solder/flux and went for it. I now have a Jamil style recirculation immersion chiller that works awesome. Also handy for whirlpooling hops, and mixing post boil pH adjustments in my sour beers.

But it might be cheaper to just buy one...
Klickitat Jim

Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks for the tips.

I was able to find a 20' 3/8" tubing at HD for $20. I've heard that would be sufficient for 10 gallon batches?
HeyAwesomeDude

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:13 pm

If you have a pump running to keep the wort moving then you might be ok, but it will be a little slow. If you don't have the wort moving all the time it is going to be horribly slow.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Agreed, way too small. How cold is your chilling water? Mine is well water that runs 55 in summer, 45 in winter, and 60' of 1/2" with a recirculation pump takes about 10 minutes to chill 6 gallons to lager pitching temps in the winter, ale temps in the summer.
Klickitat Jim

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:59 am

HeyAwesomeDude wrote:Thanks for the tips.

I was able to find a 20' 3/8" tubing at HD for $20. I've heard that would be sufficient for 10 gallon batches?

This is what I have... 20' 3/8" using washing machine hookups to connect to my garden hose/pond pump. It is not big enough for my 5 gal batches... 45 min to an hour to get to 75 and this includes my utilization of a pond pump and ice water (i use a cooler with 15 lbs of ice) once the wort reaches 100. I do live in NC and my hose water averages 78 this time of year.

I am looking to buy a better chiller as soon as I get past all these back to school expenses.
tonyccopeland

Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:12 am

For 10 gallon batches you're going to want a minimum of 50'. 70' would be better.

10-15 years ago there weren't many chillers commercially available, so DIY was pretty much your only option. With so many people making them these days they're cheap & relatively easy to come by. You could still save $20-30 by making one yourself, but personally a 10% discount really isn't worth the time & effort that goes into making a good one. Unless you really want to do the project for the sake of doing the project, I'd say just buy one & be done with it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment