Re: ITC-1000 Wiring Question

Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:44 am

Bad Goat Brewing wrote:Charlie,
I'm sorry to disagree with you, but depending on the extension cord, it likely can handle 500+ watts. 10/3 and 8/3 are way overkill for anything that's should be plugging into a 15 amp receptacle, unless he's using a really long cord. Plus cerrowire is a brand, not cable type.

BeerPal,
is there any on the cord saying something like 16/3? If not, did the cord package come with that information, max amps, gauge, or something similar?

The extension cord is a 3-prong, 14-guage type. Should be plenty enough to run a small dorm fridge, which is what this temp controller is going to do.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Yeah, that extension cord will be fine. Keep in mind that the stuff in the wall running from the panel to the plug is probably 14 gauge wire anyway (for a 15A circuit).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:22 pm

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but depending on the extension cord, it likely can handle 500+ watts. 10/3 and 8/3 are way overkill for anything that's should be plugging into a 15 amp receptacle, unless he's using a really long cord. Plus cerrowire is a brand, not cable type.

You are quite probably right, but at the point at which I posted I had no idea what he was going to plug into it, so I generalized. In my own application I routinely pull 1500 watts on my FC's heating cycle. Some refrigeration units will pull that as well.

And I called the wire by two specifications: Cerrowire (a brand name) and "stranded flexible". Google is your friend.

Anything worth killing is worth overkilling. No?

And now I see why nobody posts here anymore. :-)
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Charlie,
I started to write an argument against most of your last post, but we've already hijacked this thread enough.
Bad Goat Brewing

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Charlie wrote:

And now I see why nobody posts here anymore. :-)

Not sure how to take that comment.

I am with Bad Goat. I am in the process of wiring a control panel. Your comment to use 10/3 or 8/3 for a 500 watt system was way overkill my brother. 10/3 is 4500-6000 watts. Lookup charts on wire gauge vs. current needs. please.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment