BrewEasy any thoughts

Sun May 18, 2014 6:02 pm

I have been interested in switching to an electric brew system since this past winter of crap brew days outside. The electric version of Blichmann's BrewEasy has caught my eye. The simplicity of a 2V system, both setup and cleaning, as well as the shorter brew day when the sparge is done away with all are positives to me.

With the exception of decreased efficiency, any negatives or limitations jump out at y'all?
Brudolph

Re: BrewEasy any thoughts

Mon May 19, 2014 10:09 am

It appears to me that the Blichmann's BrewEasy system is designed for a gas (Propane (LPG) or Nat. Gas) with an option to run electrical RIMS, even though their current RIMS system is gas fired.

I am assuming that the upper kettle is the MLT and lower is Boil Kettle (BK). The picture shows the BK in their gas burner with a Tower of Power for the RIMS. No reason you can not convert to electrical though by installing you own high wattage 240V element in the BK and using the EC version of their RIMS system or your own.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon May 19, 2014 12:30 pm

believe they are adding electrical a bit later. right now just gas. I would love one of these systems, best save up now i guess and i can get one in two years....
KevinK441

Mon May 19, 2014 5:30 pm

I am trying to decide whether this 2 vessel system would give the same degree of control as a 3 vessel RIMS system. With the exception of the efficiency.

Or would I regret not going with the more complicated and expensive 3 vessel system because of a brewing technique unattainable with the 2 vessel system.

Would I regret not being able to sparge????
Brudolph

Sat May 31, 2014 11:52 am

Brudolph wrote:I am trying to decide whether this 2 vessel system would give the same degree of control as a 3 vessel RIMS system. With the exception of the efficiency.

Or would I regret not going with the more complicated and expensive 3 vessel system because of a brewing technique unattainable with the 2 vessel system.

Would I regret not being able to sparge????

Been watching and waiting for the release of the electric version. Even though the gas version was released around a month ago there hasn't been much first hand feedback out there.

From all the discussion I've seen so far efficiency has been the only "drawback". Here is a link to a guy that actually has one with some brief talk about his first brew with it: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=19096.0

Hope that helps
nooloo

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:05 pm

John Blichmann did a demo with his electric breweasy system at NHC. I didn't stick around for the whole time but it is pretty slick. I'm not sure the efficiency will be much, if any lower.

I definitely have my eye on the electric version for winter time brewing...last winter sucked!

Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:21 pm

What's the asking price for this thing? Is it more than a Picobrew Zymatic?
maxwell

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:35 am

maxwell wrote:What's the asking price for this thing? Is it more than a Picobrew Zymatic?

The gas version is out already and starts just shy of $2k for the 5 gallon with all the bells and whistles. From talking with the blichmann guys at NHC it sounded like the electric version will be around the same price when released.

TheDarkSide wrote:John Blichmann did a demo with his electric breweasy system at NHC. I didn't stick around for the whole time but it is pretty slick. I'm not sure the efficiency will be much, if any lower.

I definitely have my eye on the electric version for winter time brewing...last winter sucked!

Was cool to finally see it in action. I was impressed with how small of a foot print it takes up.
nooloo

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment