carboys and PBW

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 am

Located a couple carboys under my basement stairs that I had forgotten about for a while. They had been filled to the rim with hot water and PBW and left to sit until I needed them again. I finally had the time to give then a proper cleaning and while the inside of the carboys are sparkling, the PBW has left a ring "around the neck" that even a carboy brush can't remove. The ring is barely noticeable, but I know its there and it bugs me.

Do you guys think these would be safe to brew with or should I keep trying to get rid of that "stain"? At least I know its from a cleanser and not from fermentation filth. Any thoughts?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Re: carboys and PBW

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:09 am

I would try another hot PBW soak (just don't let it sit so long this time :mrgreen: ). Would you say the ring is where the PBW/air barrier was? I imagine it just some kind of staining that the PBW should clean up.

I have a clear coffee cup at work that you couldn't see through and no scrubbing would may it better. I soaked it in hot oxyclean over night and it looks brand new.

Are these glass carboys or better bottles?
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 am

I get that all the time. So often, in fact, that I just incorporated it into my cleaning schedule. I let them sit for a long time filled with PBW (mostly cause I hate using those brushes). When I pour out the PBW, I heat it up & soak it again over night. Usually does the trick. Sometimes I have to do it twice or use a brush just on the area where the ring was.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 am

Do you have hard water? If so, it might be a hard water deposit. Starsan or any other acid sanitizer should bust it up. Try dipping a bottle brush in diluted sanitizer, scrubbing the rim, waiting 5 minutes, and rinsing.
Beer_Baron

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:46 am

Beer_Baron wrote:Do you have hard water? If so, it might be a hard water deposit. Starsan or any other acid sanitizer should bust it up. Try dipping a bottle brush in diluted sanitizer, scrubbing the rim, waiting 5 minutes, and rinsing.

My water at my apartment was damn near R.O. & it still does it. It's just something PBW does when you leave it in there for a month.. or longer :wink:. Acid may still clean it up, but after it's been sitting that long I still like to give it another 'quick' soak anyways.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 am

Vinegar will also take that ring out.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:57 am

So it sounds like the Army is telling me that I need an acid to break up this PBW ring. I dumped a bit of star san into each carboy, shook them up, and scrubbed lightly with my carboy brush. After a couple hot water rinses they are as good as new again! thanks for the tips BN crew!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Equipment