Re: CFC issues

Sun May 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Try restricting the "out" side of the wort. I think it allows the inside to fill up and have more contact with the plates. It would probably be better to restrict the water out the same way. Also, I think this was briefly mentioned in the same Session mentioned earlier. I have one, and I use my immersion chiller for about the same reasons as JP.
Effingbeer

Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 am

Something is definitely messed up...
I have a home built 25' CFC and I can get from 200+ down to 58-60 in a single pass with no prechill. My water temp is 45 as well.
It REALLY sounds like it's not counterflowing...In my old system with my smaller first CFC I had that problem a couple of times and realized I'd hooked up the cold water backwards each time...this one is hard plumbed...1" Pex jacket with 1/2" Copper coil inside.

NB
NoBeard

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:49 am

NoBeard wrote:Something is definitely messed up...
I have a home built 25' CFC and I can get from 200+ down to 58-60 in a single pass with no prechill. My water temp is 45 as well.
It REALLY sounds like it's not counterflowing...In my old system with my smaller first CFC I had that problem a couple of times and realized I'd hooked up the cold water backwards each time...this one is hard plumbed...1" Pex jacket with 1/2" Copper coil inside.

NB

So do you control the wort flow after the chiller outlet or before?
NSTNATE

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:57 am

NSTNATE wrote:
NoBeard wrote:Something is definitely messed up...

NB

So do you control the wort flow after the chiller outlet or before?

I control both the wort flow and the cooling water flow after the chiller, I made the mistake reducing water flow before the chiller in V2.0 of my CFC and the heat differential blew a hole in the inner pipe, Version 3.0 has had no problems.
By controlling both outputs you can be way more precise, by changing the flow rates of both to find the perfect combination.
I also use my CFC as an external Herms, running my mash through the inner line, and recirculating the HLT through the outer jacket and controlling the outputs to nail whatever temp I want in the mash.

NB
NoBeard

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:16 pm

120 only down to 82? That's fucked.

I say fuck it -- try hooking the water up backwards just to see if there is ANY difference whatsoever. There should be SOMETHING measurable here.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment