Re: Hydrometer VS. Refractometer

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:47 am

With the numbers you gave us, I calculate a F.G. of 1.004 with the refractometer tool on Northern Brewer's website. You gave us round numbers though, and with a refractometer you want to record to the nearest 0.1 if possible because the calculated F.G. is very sensitive to the initial and final brix values. When I first got my refractometer, I would always measure with both tools and convinced myself that the refractometer was accurate to within ~0.002 s.g. if used correctly.
maxwell

Re: Hydrometer VS. Refractometer

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:39 pm

Lots of good info, thanks guys! I'm digging the refractometor for is ease of use and it's less apt to breakage. Plus its cool. I need to resist fucking with it when my vision is blured and take more accurate readings. I will still keep my trusty hydrometer by my side to double check. Thanks for the site recomendations with the gravity conversions. Peace out bitches :drink
My water tastes like shit, so I flavor it with malt, hops and yeast..Yum!
--Me
fluffhead

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment