Re: Temp controlling a freezer

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 pm

DonMoleon wrote:I really enjoyed Django Unchained. Probably the best movie I've seen in years...

Well, he thinks I called him an "ad hominem", and I honestly don't know a thing about his sex life.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:45 am

BeaverBarber wrote:
konkers wrote:
BeaverBarber wrote:I'm not sure you if realize this, but you just made my point exactly...thank you. Like I said, you need to purchase one sophisticated piece of machinery to ferment in celsius to get as accurate as you can with a simple dial on a Johnson Controller in Fahrenheit.

..."If your controller is reading out in whole degrees F (i.e. 67 F not 67.0 F) like the Ranco that MoreBeer! sells, that means that the temperature could be anywhere between 66.5 F and 67.5 F (~19.2 C - ~19.7 C.) Now take the same controller reading 19 C. That could be between 18.5 C and 19.5 C (65.3 F - 67.1 F). The actual difference between those is quite small +-0.5 F vs +-0.9 F"...

...and it's still not as accurate. I close my case your honor.

Ahh quotes taken out of context... My point was that other factors in the system outweigh the difference in *precision* between controlling in C or F. If you care about that level of difference in precision you probably both need to ditch your controller and your freezer/fridge, use a controller with a more sophisticated control algorithm than these bang-bang controllers, and use a cooling system can either cycle fast or apply a variable level of cooling. And even then, after all that work, when you've got your error down to +-0.5F, you probably still won't notice a difference in the final beer as our "imprecise" controller using C with and error of +-2.3F.

As for your Johnson Temperature controller has a fixed differential of 3.5 F (2C). In addition that things entirely analog. It's not controlling based on temperature, it's controlling based off internal voltages in its circuits. The fact that the dial is in F is purely an artifact of the scale that's printed on the dial. You could print a new scale on it in C and it would work EXACTLY the same and control the the same *precision*.

I suppose we'll have to "agree to disagree" here.

Look. I enjoy autism as much as the next guy, but simply stated...smaller measurements are more accurate measurements. Nothing can change that. It's an irrefutable truth.

Only true if the piece of equipment you are using is accurate and precise to those measurements. In this case I'd take a digital controller that can only read in Celsius over the analog in Fahrenheit. Simply since the analog controllers work off air pressure and not the actual temp, thus elevation and how well sealed the unit is will have a larger role in giving the "proper" temp.

Both though are accurate as each other. The perceived inaccuracy is in the conversion formula and the understanding that they measure the same thing(Celsius/kelvin is a measure of entropy in the system converted to a temperature scaled to water/Fahrenheit is based off the change of physical properties of brine compared to water). The best option is to use the scale you are most comfortable with.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

The issue here is a matter of resolution. IF you are measuring in WHOLE numbers, then yes, there is greater resolution on a F scale as the liquid state of water will go from 32-212F, giving you 180 UNITS between freezing and boiling. In C, you have 100 UNITS across the same range of temperature. However, neither scale is inherently more accurate. For example, if you have a F thermostat that can set to whole values of F, and a thermostat that can set to half values of C, now the one reading in C has greater resolution (200 units).

Saying that Fahrenheit is more accurate because it has greater resolution at the integer level is like saying that the reason the US should start making road signs in kilometer is because it's a more accurate measure... but who wants to have to keep it under 104kph on the highways and 46kph in towns?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:35 pm

:shock:
spiderwrangler wrote:The issue here is a matter of resolution. IF you are measuring in WHOLE numbers, then yes, there is greater resolution on a F scale as the liquid state of water will go from 32-212F, giving you 180 UNITS between freezing and boiling. In C, you have 100 UNITS across the same range of temperature. However, neither scale is inherently more accurate. For example, if you have a F thermostat that can set to whole values of F, and a thermostat that can set to half values of C, now the one reading in C has greater resolution (200 units).

Saying that Fahrenheit is more accurate because it has greater resolution at the integer level is like saying that the reason the US should start making road signs in kilometer is because it's a more accurate measure... but who wants to have to keep it under 104kph on the highways and 46kph in towns?

Hello weary travellers. On behalf of the people of Earth, I welcome you. If you are here to deplete our humble planet of its homebrew reserves and bring them back to your own home planet, please feel free to take all of the Sorachi Ace you like. I only ask that you please leave us with the Amarillo.

Yeah, I get it. A stone is 14 pounds. If you have a scale that divides it up 20 ways, it's more precise than a scale in whole integer pounds. Thanks for that. :shock:
And you were actually very close. It's 50 kph in the villages, 90 kph in the countryside, and 130 kph on the motorway.
Come On Fulham!!

BeaverBarber

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:41 pm

BeaverBarber wrote:Hello weary travellers. On behalf of the people of Earth, I welcome you. If you are here to deplete our humble planet of its homebrew reserves and bring them back to your own home planet, please feel free to take all of the Sorachi Ace you like. I only ask that you please leave us with the Amarillo.

You are a strange one... :|
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:22 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
BeaverBarber wrote:Hello weary travellers. On behalf of the people of Earth, I welcome you. If you are here to deplete our humble planet of its homebrew reserves and bring them back to your own home planet, please feel free to take all of the Sorachi Ace you like. I only ask that you please leave us with the Amarillo.

I'm strange? I'm starting to feel like the woman in some kind of weird, nerdy gang bang.
Come On Fulham!!

BeaverBarber

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:

So he fits right in...
EllisTX

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:45 pm

EllisTX wrote:You are a strange one... :|

So he fits right in...[/quote]

Finally, someone I can identify with. Cheers, Ellis... :jnj
Come On Fulham!!

BeaverBarber

PreviousNext