Who filters?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:41 am

I was curious to know who filters before kegging and which filter/pump/hacked-together-jerry-rigged-piece-of-crap-lame-excuse-for-a-filter-setup they use. (no offence to anyone who's budget won't allow for unnecessary toys)

I bought a Buon Vino mini jet filter pump that was selling for $129 CAD yesterday for polishing up some wine and ran this years Super Magic Jesus Xmas Ale through it. It went into the keg amazingly clear, but now that I think of it, I'm concerned that I may have inoculated it with who the hell knows what! It's FG of 1.018 lends itself to quite a healthy feast for whatever was kicking back waiting to be fed. Does anyone else use a similar filtration system? Beer is obviously not like wine where K-metabisulfate gets added to nuke whatever lies in wait.

...thoughts?
On Tap: Jamil's Oktoberfest, JP's Oatmeal Stout, Organic Apfelwein, English Brown Ale
Carbing:
Churning: House Citra APA
sexpanther

Re: Who filters?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm assuming you cleaned & sanitized it?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:15 pm

Issue I've found is its almost impossible to sanitize the filters (circular pad type) with liquid sanitizer, it just plugs them up. On some filters I've bought they come individually packaged and pre-sanitized/sterilized as long as they are sealed.

Though I have filtered a smoked beer and let it sit for over a year before with no ill effects from the filter.

One thing I've thought about with the sanitization issue is that when filtering down to the 0.5micron level the only area that needs to be sanitized is the out side of the filter and the back of the pad since any bug should be stopped in the filter, though I haven't tried it.

The filter setup I have is the 2 pad plate filter from morebeer.
On tap: dunkelwiessen, american brown ale
Fermenting: american barleywine
On deck: ? what ever is next
PSUHomebrewer

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm sure it'll get all drunk'd up before it becomes an issue, but I'm possibly being paranoid just in case I wanted to bottle some to see how it ages.
On Tap: Jamil's Oktoberfest, JP's Oatmeal Stout, Organic Apfelwein, English Brown Ale
Carbing:
sexpanther

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:42 am

I have used the Buon Vino Super Jet to filter all my beer the last few years.
Use the "polish" grade which is their medium grade pad, coarse is too large and fine is - well too fine and plugs easily.
I soak my pads in Star San before assembly.
Assemble then run small amount of Star San through the lines.
Drain the lines then pump the beer.
Discard the first few ounces.
Able to reuse the pads a coouple times depending on the beer style
Works beautifully without problems.
JJFlash

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:32 pm

So you run star san through the system? I was going to but was worried that it would become a foamy mess.
Carbing:
sexpanther

Return to Brewing Equipment