Auto-siphon -V- Stainless racking tube

Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:41 pm

I am wondering which one is better. I have broken two plastic racking tubes while removing the vinyl tubing from the racking tube and would like to get a better piece of equipment to prevent this.
Peace, Love, Unity
L0nni3
l0nni3

Re: Auto-siphon -V- Stainless racking tube

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 pm

If you're breaking tubes, you're doing it wrong :)

That being said, the tube that makes up the central portion of the autosiphon is basically the same thing, so if you break the regular ones, you'll break it too. You won't break a stainless tube (and you can heat sanitize), but the ease of starting an autosiphon is a very, very nice feature.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:57 pm

I started using teflon tape under the tubing once because of tubing that was a little oversized, and it turns out that a wrap of teflon sanitizable and easy to remove.
@Day_Brew
PFC - Chicagoland Engineering Div.
_________
Primary: Berliner, RIS (for barrel), Trippel, Wit
Keg: APA, Eng. Brown, Belg. Stout w/ Bourbon Oak, BDS, Brett Experiment
anday6

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:48 pm

l0nni3 wrote:I am wondering which one is better. I have broken two plastic racking tubes while removing the vinyl tubing from the racking tube and would like to get a better piece of equipment to prevent this.

The best way to remove the vinyl tubing is to run the point where the tubing connects to the inner racking cane under hot water. This helps the tubing to quickly expand and makes it easier to twist off the tubing away from the racking cane. It does suck breaking those when trying to separate them. I fully understand.... :lol:
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:55 am

A couple of years ago I switched to the stainless racking cane in the orange carboy cap method to siphon. You place the cane in the middle hole of the cap and blow into the other hole. I use a $4 filter to blow in, but you can use it without.
Fermenting: Dead Pig APA
Kegs: BCS Saison, Ironman IIPA, BCS Irish Red
Bottles: CYBI Arrogant Bastard (2009)
Cutt

Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:59 am

anday6 wrote:I started using teflon tape under the tubing once because of tubing that was a little oversized, and it turns out that a wrap of teflon sanitizable and easy to remove.

I just tried that trick the other day. It worked great. Thanks!

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Return to Brewing Equipment