Re: What does Star San turn into when it ceases to be active

Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:28 pm

scotchpine wrote:...there is no way, if you drank that much beer, your brain would still function at the extremely high level it does.

Yes, but you should see my gut - "imported from Bamberg" I tell people as I rest my mug on it.

I do indeed sponsor club brews and have a "guest brewer" program where people who ask me "Will you brew the beer for my wedding" get the answer "No, but you can come over and brew it yourself." Neither of these happen that often but it is an amazing thing, the beer seems to get consumed even though I typically only drink a pint or 2 a day.
ajdelange

Re: What does Star San turn into when it ceases to be active

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Alchemywunderkid wrote:Let's say you drop your cleaned and sanitized racking cane onto the ground. On one side of the room you have an open bucket of VERY, VERY old Star San. On the other side, you have a bucket of tap water. Into which do you swish your racking cane before you siphon your precious beer? For this question, assume that there are no other options.

What?? You are going to knock off the extra flavor from the floor?

your hypo is essentially unanswerable because: (1) you didn't state whether your sanitizer was worth using, (2) you didn't indicate anything about the floor's cleanliness, (3) you didn't say anything about the quality of the tap water bleach chloramiene filter - - etc., (3) you took the Star San out of the equation anyway {was that a trick?}, (4) {most important} you didn't say what the question was that you were looking to answer.

But if I had to assume there were no other options (such a dire circumstance) I'd lick the cane off to see is any pizza sauce from last night got on it, scratch my but with it and finish the session.

Odds are your dropping the cane would be meaningless. How filthy the floor would have to be to have something on it that (a) could survive in beer - that's a challenge what with all the acidity and what not, and (b) only a small handful of bugs can survive in beer and create off flavors.
HEY~!! It's a hobby~!! It's NOT supposed to make sense~!!
Cliff

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment