Cleaning/Prepairing HERMS Coil

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 am

I recently built a HERMS coil out of 50' of 3/8ths copper tubing. In an effort to clean and sanitize the coil, I ran a loop of Starsan through it overnight. In the morning I took a look and the Starsan solution was green/blue in color. Some google searching seems to indicate that this is/was Verdegris, which from my searches is something that is toxic.

What is the correct procedure I should follow to ensure that my HERMS coil is safe for brewing? I don't want to be mashing my grain with toxins
bglass77

Re: Cleaning/Prepairing HERMS Coil

Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:41 pm

Probably fine. Copper Oxide is blue/green. You basically dissolved some of the copper with that long of a soak. You really only need a few minutes of contact. I dip mine in starsan every once in a while, and it becomes clean as new. Run some water through it and it will be fine. If you are really concerned, run some PBW through it and it will neutralize any acid that is left.

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Return to Brewing Equipment