Re: Blichmann Hop Rocket

Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:08 pm

I have never had beer that has been passed, post fermentation, through a mass of hops so it will have novelty value to me. I see the point behind just making the beer as hoppy as you want by design but I also respect the concept of hop loading at every opportunity. I have only been brewing for a couple of years though, perhaps I will think the same way when I have been doing this for longer.
On Tap: Dark Mild (x2), Honey Hefe
Fermenting: A.Bastard Clone, Wee Heavy, S/70, Eng. Barleywine
On Deck: ?
11amas

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:11 pm

11amas wrote: but I also respect the concept of hop loading at every opportunity....

To this end, we will undoubtedly "Sparge Hop" our HLT, and Jockey hop my underwear before the brew. Hey, my balls like hop aroma, too!

Mylo
"Life is too short to bottle homebrew." - Me

"HEINEKEN? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!!" - Dennis Hopper, in Blue Velvet
Mylo
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Mylo wrote:
11amas wrote: but I also respect the concept of hop loading at every opportunity....

To this end, we will undoubtedly "Sparge Hop" our HLT, and Jockey hop my underwear before the brew. Hey, my balls like hop aroma, too!

Mylo

:shock:
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Lol, hop the liquor tank, I totally forgot about that one! I bet it won't be too long until people are dropping a pellet in their pint glass.
On Tap: Dark Mild (x2), Honey Hefe
Fermenting: A.Bastard Clone, Wee Heavy, S/70, Eng. Barleywine
On Deck: ?
11amas

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:58 pm

11amas wrote: I bet it won't be too long until people are dropping a pellet in their pint glass.

You haven't done that before? :?:
Adopt a deaf dog. It will change your life in a positive way

Jamil Zainasheff has a walk in cooler.
Pamela Anderson has a walk in cooter.
San_Diego_Matt

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 am

TastyMcD wrote:Not to be a dick here but isn't a Randle a cheap trick for beers that can't stand on their own? For great hop aroma, not the grassy variety, homebrewers should use ample late hop additions and dry hop. Just sayin'.

Tasty

Tasty... have you given your Hop Rocket a test run yet? If so... what are your thoughts on it vs. late hoping etc. I know you were going to use the HR in reverse so I am curious as to your results.
I
breyton

Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Even though I'm running it backwards, the Hop Rocket works as well or better than my hopback. I love the tight seal and it's size. I think I could put up to 8 ounces of whole hops in it. I got good pull down on the hops so the trub filtering aspect worked well. It's now part of my system.

Tasty

yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:48 am

Tasty,

Few Questions:

1: Whats the point of running the Hop rocket Upside down? Do you need gravity to keep the hops on top of the screen so they compact and filter trub more efficiently?
2: You mention that you perceive no added hop flavor or aroma with a hop back compared to late hopping/whirlpooling. My assumption in your setup is that you do not use a hop back at all and instead use whirlpool hops.
3: Do you cut back on your whirlpool hop amounts when you use the Hop Rocket. I would guess you are getting some level of hop flavor/aroma from the hops in the Hop Rocket trub filter.
I
breyton

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Equipment